Star Lounger
    Thanks

Table of Authorities (Word 2003)

I have a client in a law office with a unique problem. One of their courts requires the Table of Contents and Table of Authorities to be together in page order. It's easy to create either a TOC or a TOA, but I can't figure out how to merge them into one table.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Craig.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table of Authorities (Word 2003)

Word does not provide for a merged TOA/TOC. The only way I can think of is:

- Wait until the document is completely finished.
    - Update the TOA and TOC.
    - Unlink them - select each in turn and press Ctrl+Shift+F9.
    - Remove the empty paragraph in between them, if necessary.
    - Select TOA and TOC.
    - Select Table | Sort.
    - Select Field2 from the Sort By dropdown.
    - Click OK.

If the document changes, the client will have to re-create the TOA and TOC, then repeat the above steps.

Thanks

I was going to say that is an extremely illogical requirement... but then I realized that a textbook I used to teach a course this summer has exactly that kind of Table of Contents. Perhaps the trick is to mark your authorities as TC entries? This probably is more work than a TOA because TOC's have no concept of matching up your shortened and full forms of citations...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Craig,

I would add one thing to what Hans said.

Rather than unlinking the ToC and ToA initially as mentioned, I'd make a copy of them first and place them in a new section of the document (restarting page numbers if needed). Unlink the copy and do the rest of what Hans said. That way, if anything fancy was done with the ToC or ToA, you have the original that can continue to be updated if there's any chance the "final" isn't really final. I did this for a ToA I did about 2 months ago. Not that redoing a ToA from scratch (assuming the entries are marked anyway) is a big deal but it did save me a few steps. On the other hand, if changes are not a big deal, then you can manually make the changes in the unlinked tables.

Fred

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have a general TOA question. Once you've marked it for the TOA, can you unmark it?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Show your hidden text and you will be able to see the hidden field that holds the TA entry. Once you can see it - you can delete it without affecting the surrounding text.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I know that, but what if I want to leave the citation in the document, I just don't want it to show in the TOA? Not a whole category, just that one reference.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte,

I'm not totally sure what you're trying to accomplish by annotating a text with a TA mark but suppressing it from the actual table but here are 3 suggestions:

1. At least in my experiment, you can just highlight a single entry (which is part of the entire TOA field for a class) and delete it.

2. Create an unlinked version of the TOA and delete the entry in question. The TOA is generated by field codes. Like any other field, a field can be unlinked so that it can it is no longer updatable. To do this, select the field for the TOA and press CTRL+SHIFT+F9. Then delete the entry.

3. Use one of the unused classes to for the entry in question, give it a name like "non printing", and then just don't generate the TOA for this class. The advantage of this method is that it's very easy to view what's in the class just by generating the TOA and then deleting it or making the font invisible.

HTH

Fred