Thread: Word 2002

robertj

Word 2002

Word crashes almost every time I exit the program. Most of the time, it is if I use the Close (X) button. Word the generates a report to send to Micorsoft.... That sucks! I guess they released it so that the rest of the world could finish Beta testing it!

jamesbow

Re: Word 2002

I am encountering the exact same problem and have gotten into the habit of closing the individual documents before I attempt to close the program itself. That way, there is nothing to lose, although Word still asks me if I want to restart and do an autorecovery.

I know no solution to this. I had thought that I was the only one, but I'm relieved to know I'm not. For the record, I'm on a Pentium III 450 with 256 Mb of RAM. Can anybody else, at least, confirm this bug?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am also on a Pentium III 450MHZ with 256MB SDRam but I haven't come across this problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Is the error related to a file called vbe6.dll? If so, I was having the same problem. Do you also have Acrobat 4.0 or 5.0 installed with macros linking to Word, or in your Office Startup file? I had the Acrobat button and menu coming up with Word. As soon as I moved the macro out of the start-up folder, the problem disappeared (along with the link to Acrobat -- I understand Adobe is 'working on it').

Even if you don't have Acrobat, my guess is that the crash has to do with a bad macro being resaved into Normal.dot.

Good luck and let us know.

Jerry

robertj

No, I get no error messages of that type. It only says that it encountered errors.

robertj

I am running a 933 w/384 MB of SDRAM, so I am well above the recommended sys requirements.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried renaming your normal.dot? Although you've probably done this before, for those who are following but haven't, Close Word; Right Click on Start, and select find/search (depending on windows version) and search your hard drive for normal.dot. Rename each occurrence to normal.old. Start Word. See if this cures it.
    Karen

jamesbow

Jerrymike,

Your solution did the trick.

As it happens, I do have a copy of Acrobat 5.0 on my machine, and it installed three macros (one for Word, one for Excel and one for Powerpoint) designed to create .pdf files in the folder Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office 10/startup. Removing them appears to have done the trick; Word is not crashing upon exit (or, at least, not so far). The macro buttons for creating a .pdf file disappear, but there are other ways to create .pdf files out of Word documents, so I don't need these stray buttons lying around.

Thanks! You've done the trick!

Best,
    James