3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Brute Force Attack?

I have a number of Windows 2000 servers in an NT4 domain.

This morning I was informed that another server (same company, different domain, another country) was subject to a brute force attack from one of my Windows 2000 servers and that I should investigate the issue.

I know various ways to harden a server against attack and I've done some research on it but I am unable to establish a method for figuring if or how a server can carry such an attack or exactly what to do to prevent it doing so.

How do I tell if one of my servers is PERFORMING a brute force attack on another system? Maybe it has malicious software on it, maybe it is just doing something else?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Brute Force Attack?

Presumably you have swept the allegedly-offending server for spyware and viruses?

I cannot imagine that your company's hardware firewall is allowing YOU to mount a brute force attack on another domain!

Have they given you any details of what this brute force attack is supposed to consist of? Traces on ports, etc? Have they heard of spoofing?!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...