3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gridline not printing (Excel 2002)

We seem to be having issues with printing documents with the gridlines. We can print with borders for all the cells. When we just select gridlines, most of the gridlines print, but at certain places on the page the gridlines don't print. We have tried different printers. It appears to be something in Excel.

The drawn borders will print, so I guess we have our work around. I would like to know if this issue is Excel 2002 or something we are doing and can repair.

Thanks

Re: Gridline not printing (Excel 2002)

The places where the gridlines do not print, are the cells colored? Background color is "on top of" the gride lines...

Steve

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Steve, but there is no color currently used in the file and to the best of our knowledge color was never used.

If color had been used, how do we get it back to normal so that the gridlines print. We can see them on the screen and in Print Preview.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you post a stripped-down copy of such a workbook? Replace real contents with dummy data if necessary.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans.

I've stripped the file down to 2 ledger size pages. The area without gridlines appears at about row 47-49 on the first page and 107-109 on the second. As I said before, this area without gridlines appears when we print to different printers. The area may not be exactly the same on each printer. I haven't tried color printers.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

All gridlines print on my printer (an Epson inkjet printer). What type of printer are you using? If you're using an inkjet printer, a partially clogged print head can cause lines to be omitted from the print, especially with hairlines such as the gridlines. Because cell borders are usually darker and/or thicker than gridlines, they may print even where gridlines are omitted.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I saw afraid that the gridlines would print for other people.

The majority of our printers are HP. I tried printing on the HP5000 and HP8100. We only have one non-HP printer in this office, but I don't have access to that one.

Thanks, Hans, for the assistance.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

For what it's worth, I printed to an HP and to a Dell (both laser printers). The gridlines printed on both printers just fine.

I did have to set a paper size on the HP to get it to print. Going into Page Setup, the paper size field was blank. Leaving it blank, it wouldn't let me print at all...gave me an error. The Dell didn't seem to care that the field was blank.

- Brett

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Not having the up-to-date print driver can sometime cause that problem. I printed on my HP LJ2200, and all gridlines printed OK.
    Legare Coleman

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Lagare.

Because we have several models of the HP line of printers, we have found that we need to use the same print driver for all HP printers. If we use the latest drivers related to each printer, when we print the same document to different printer models, the pagination is not always the same. This does not make our staff happy.
    There are always several staff members working on reports, maybe in different offices. We want to be able to print the document anywhere and have the same page breaks. Unless there is something we are missing in MS Office, the only thing that we have found to use is the same print driver for most printers. Our CAD packages also have the same issue with print drivers.

It is probably true that the print drivers are causing our problems with Excel. I don't know how to get out of the print driver circle of issues. How do we get consistent page breaks without bringing in other driver issues?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Using the same printer drivers is often required in a corporate setting. I'd use cell borders in this situation to avoid problems with printing gridlines.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans and everyone else who shared their thoughts.

It does look like borders is the only solution for now.