New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Media Center (2004 with 05 update)

I have a HP computer with Windows XP Media Center Edtion. I would like to burn a DVD from the TV shows that I have recorded on this computer using Media Center. The shows are on the computer and are viewable on the PC. When I go to "other Programs" under the Media Center and try to get it to make a DVD it tells me the requested file is "unsupported" or it can't find the file. Any ideas what I am missing? Shouldn't I be able to burn a DVD from a TV show recorded on the same computer?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Media Center (2004 with 05 update)

I believe from a conversation I had with a friend in France recently that you have to convert the files to a DVD type. I kow he purchased Ulead Video studio and I haven't heard from him since so I assume this solved the problem, sorry this is not more precise. gws

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

What program are you using to open the file? You should be able to use Windows Media Player to open it and save it some other format.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

I was trying to use the Media Center itself. Under "More Programs", I clicked on the choice "Create CD/DVD". Under that, I was given three choices for disc format and chose "Video DVD". Then I was asked to type in a "name" for the new DVD and I did. Then I was give two choices for sources and clicked on "Recorded TV". Then a list of all my recorded TV shows comes up. I click on one of the TV shows. Then I get a message "Unsupported File Type".

Administrator
    Thanks

What were your other choices for DVD format? Can you record any other show? Are you up-to-date with patches (optional in addition to security/critical)? Check out the articles in this Search The Knowledge Base.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Joe.
    Thanks for responding.
    When I got to the step for "Disc Format", as I said, I used the choice "Video DVD". That seemed correct but two steps later when I clicked on a TV show it said "unsupported file type".
    There were two other choices: "Data DVD" and "DVD slide show". Those don't seem correct for a tv show but I have not tried them.
    I tried using the "DVD Slide Show" and it did work to copy some photos that I have on my hard drive. It was the first thing I have successfully made.
    That does not help me record a TV show.
    I think I am up to date with Microsoft patches. I am logged on for auto-updates.
    I have not yet gone to look at the articles at Search The Knowledge Base, but thank you for that.
    Bob

Administrator
    Thanks

Auto-updates don't get everything. You need to go to Microsoft Update, let it update/install the activex control. Then run a custom scan to get a list of all fixes. Do NOT select any of the hardware drivers. Read about the optional fixes and select those that seem appropriate. If you aren't sure post back and ask.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Bob,

As all operating systems, Windows Media Center has limited capabilities in all "additional" features.

So, you can record your record your television shows onto DVD, but as files using "Data DVD" option - just video files on the disc, which can be played on any Windows XP machines running Media Player 10. Of course, such DVDs are not standard video DVDs that you can play on a regular DVD player.

To record regular video DVDs, you can buy and install any third-party DVD burning program, as Uleaad Movie Factory, Roxio Easy Media Creator, Ahead Nero6 Ultra or similar.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I went to "Microsoft Update". Thanks for the suggestion. I ran a scan and it listed several updates it said were critical. I clicked on the button to download but they did not download for some reason. Maybe I'll try again today.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your post. I went to Media Center and clicked on "Data DVD". Just as you said, it seemed to let me make a DVD that will play on my computer but will not play on my DVD for TV. I can already play the show on my computer, so that does not help very much. I guess I will, as you said, need to buy separate soft-ware to burn a DVD. Thanks for your help.