2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Today Customization won't stay, icons (2003 SP1)

Screenshot that caused horizontal scrolling reduced in size by HansV - please don't post pictures over 640x480 in isize.

I'm aware of the problem in Outlook 2000, where you can't customize Outlook Today because of an Internet Explorer patch. KB820575

But we're having a similar problem with Outlook 2003 SP1. Not everyone in our organization has this problem, but there are a handful that does. When they click on Outlook Today, the standard layout of it appears, but there are icon place holders instead of the background colors and objects. Check out the circled items in the attached example.

The user can click the Customize Outlook Today button, make a customization like change to the Summer theme, and click the save changes button. The customization will remain until the user closes and reopens Outlook. Then Outlook Today is back to the standard theme without any customization.

And the problem follows them from machine to machine!

I've tried the workaround as suggested for the KB820575 article above, but that didn't have any effect.

Does someone have an idea on why this is happening? The version of Internet Explorer we're on is 6.0.2800.1106CO SP1 with these Q numbers applied: 824145, 832894, 837009, 867801,833989, 903235.

Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Outlook Today Customization won't stay, icons

Interesting. The Outlook Today for my Exchange Mailbox loads normally, but when I select my migrated old PST file, the images are blocked (see attached illustration). I do not have a roaming profile, so whatever is causing this cannot be confirmed as a registry setting, but it sounds as though that might be the case in your organization.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for responding, jscher2000.

No we don't have roaming profiles in my organization. As for a PST file, the user's OUtlook profile is attached to her Exchange mailbox, not a PST. I did create a profile based on a new, Outlook 2k3 PST file, but that didn't cause Outlook Today to look funny. Maybe I'll have the user try it herself, since Outlook Today is messed up on hers.

Maybe she has an old 2000-PST in her folder list that could be causing something funny. I'll contact her and find out.

In the mean time, has anyone else seen this or can recreate it? Thanks.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't run into that exact scenario, but I found one that has Outlook 2000 SP-3 9.0.9.6627. She had her mail on an exchange server and was able to customize Outlook today with no problem. She then changed the delivery location of new mail to a pst file. Now when she clicks on Customize Outlook Today, nothing happens. It does not display the customize window. She then changed the delivery location back to the exchange server and found that now it doesn't work there either. We also tried the registry edit, but that didn't resolve the problem. If anyone does find a solution...I would love to know.