New Lounger
    Thanks

different top margin (2003)

Is there a way to get Word to have a different top margin on the first page? I know I can do a different header/footer, but I can't figure out how to change the margin automatically. I have a friend using a 1/2 inch top margin on the first page, so his letterhead prints near the top, but he wants the following pages to have a 1 inch top margin.

I can have him put in a section break at the top of the second page whenever his letters go longer than one page, but he writes with a lot of numbered paragraphs, and if a paragraph runs over the page break, and he puts a section break at the top of the second page, then the part of his paragraph that's on the top of the second page gets a new number. Of course, I can show him how to fix that issue when it happens, but it's certainly a cumbersome way to write a letter! There must be a better way.

Also, can you show the file path in the title bar of a Word document?

Thanks for helping!!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: different top margin (2003)

> Also, can you show the file path in the title bar of a Word document?

See <post#=289830>post 289830</post#> for a way to display the path without any programming

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I would do it like this:

- Set a top margin of 1" in the Margins tab of File | Page Setup...
    - Specify 'Different first page' in the Layout tab.
    - Specify 0.5" as distance from the edge for the header.
    - Place the letterhead in the first page header.

No hassle with section breaks!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I have a similar situation. Our style manual calls for a logo on the first page only, one-half inch from the top edge of the page. The second and subsequent pages have a different header (text only) that must appear one inch from the top edge. I don't want to insert a section break for the same reason Charlie explained. It appears the only way to get the page 2 header to appear one inch from the edge is to either add a couple of blank lines above the text or to format the first paragraph with some space above it.

This technique works, but is there a more "elegant" way to do this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I would specify 1" as distance of the header from the edge in the Layout tab of Format | Page Setup.
    Make the logo in the first page header floating, you can then move it to 0.5" from the edge.