Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot attach multiple files when using Send To (Win XP SP2/Outlook 2003 S

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I have created a Send To shortcut called Mail Recipient using Outlook. This creates a RTF or HTML email (depending on your settings) instead of a Plain text one. If I select multiple files from my desktop, Right click them and choose SendTo | Mail Recipient using Outlook, only the last file selected is attached. I have no problems attaching files in any other ways.

The Shortcut targe for my Mail Recipient using Outlook is "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice11OUTLOOK.EXE" /c ipm.note

Word is not set as my email editor.

Can anyone help? </font face=comic>
    finalword

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot attach multiple files when using Send To (Win XP SP2/Outlook 20

When you use the 'Send to | Mail Recipient' command in Windows Explorer, you are not calling a standard .LNK shortcut, you a calling a zero byte file named "Mail Recipient.mapimail", which is an Explorer Shell extension filename defined in the Registry to be handled specially by Windows Explorer. In very imprecise terms, Windows Explorer sees that this file has been called, it calls sendmail.dll, which in turn calls the default mail program, and using its file multiselect ability Windows Explorer passes the selected files to the default mail program. (And we wonder why Windows seems so complicated.)

The shortcut to Outlook you created is a LNK file which doesn't use built-in MAPIMAIL/File Explorer features and that's probably why it doesn't handle multiple files.

You could mess with attempting to shortcut direct to sendmail.dll, but I don't think you will accomplish what you want. I'll certainly be interested if there's a way to do it.

For a wonderfully obscure (to me) discussion on this, see these two articles: http://www.arstdesign.com/articles/sendtomail.html and http://www.arstdesign.com/articles/sendtomail_2.html.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

<font face="Comic Sans MS">We created the new Send to | Mail Recipient using Outlook shortcut specifically so we didn't have to use the default MAPI form which only allows you to use Plain Text as your email format. This shortcut was created as specified by Microsoft and Slipstick.com. All it does is call up the default mail form. We can attach multiple files to this form when creating messages from within Outlook, but it will not allow us to select the files first and use the shortcut to attach multiple files. It only grabs the last file selected.

Anyone else have any ideas on why this is happening???</font face=comic>
    finalword

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think you'll have to choose:

- Either use the generic Send To | Mail Recipient shortcut, be able to attach multiple files and accept that it always creates a plain text message.
    - Or create an Outlook shortcut, be able to create a message in your preferred format and accept that you'll have to attach subsequent files after creating the message.

See this newsgroup thread.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Thanks Hans. I was hoping someone knew a "magic" trick to get this to work the way I want it to work, but I guess there is none right now.</font face=comic>
    finalword