4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Security Alert (XPHome SP2)

I am running XP Home SP2 on a Toshiba laptop. Recently Windows Security Alert has been telling me when I boot up that my Antivirus protection is turned off. If I hover over the Norton icon in the system tray it says Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect enabled and if I open NAV and go to the status window it says everything is turned ON. What is happening?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Security Alert (XPHome SP2)

If your Norton Anti-Virus is up-to-date, Windows XP SP-2 should recognize it. You can turn off the warning in the Security Center control panel, see How to Disable Antivirus Alerts When Security Center Does Not Detect Installed Antivirus Application.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You will find that this message can and will pop up when the AV program has NOT yet been started. It takes a few seconds for AV program to get started, but MS Security is started first and can not find any AV running. If you wait long enough, the message and security icon should disappear as soon as the AV program gets started.

Does the MS security icon disappear on your system if you wait?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. I followed your link and went to the Security Center to opt for the "I will monitor AV protection myself " option, only to find that it now says my AV protection is turned on. Weird!!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe this is what is happening. See my reply to Hans above.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Phil

I have been getting this message too, for the last few weeks (only).

I am guessing that a recent Windows update has broken the code which checks whether Norton Antivirus is running, or, alternatively, they've reduced the time they wait before checking.

Yes, it does take a little time for NAV to start up, and it always does start up in each user that logs on, so I will just ignore the Microsoft message, since it is incorrect after however many seconds.

John

PS I would have hoped there was an article on the Symantec KnowledgeBase, though...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Further to my previous posts, the problem seems to remain. The Windows Security warning does not go away, even after half an hour or more. However, if I check LiveUpdate in Norton Antivirus, I am told my Antivirus is up to date. I then check Windows Security Center again and it tells me Virus Protection is now on.