Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Style pasted - formatting lost (Word XP)

Attached is a document with 2 identical styles in it. One is called "Problem" and one is called "Good".

If you paste the paragraphs into a new document, the formatting is different. Why would this happen?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Style pasted - formatting lost (Word XP)

I am guessing that this is because you already have a style called Problem in the document you are pasting into - I don't see a difference when I paste these paragraphs into another file.

Check that the style really isn't already in the file - the settings in Word 2002 and 2003 allow you to hide the existence of styles without actually removing them from the document.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The style definitely doesn't exist in another document. Can you please confirm that the font sizes are identica when you paste these paragraphs into a new document are all 10 pointsl?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The paragraphs were both 10pt after pasting into a new blank document. I didn't see any differences in the style definitions either.

Check the existence of a hidden style by showing the Styles and Formatting Task Pane and choosing to show 'Custom...' at the bottom of the task pane. In this dialog (Format Settings) I would expect to see a style called 'Problem' that is set to be not visible in the style list.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The style definitely doesn't exist in the new document. No matter what I call it, the font size on the "Problem" style always changes to 12 points.

If it works okay for you, then once again, it must be an environment problem here (probably a DLL), or it could be that we are on a different service pack of Office to you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I see the same behavior as you do: The "Problem" paragraph is changed to 12 points when I paste it into a new document, while the "Good" paragraph stays 10 points. I'm on a Dutch language system at the moment, and I positively DON'T have a style named "Problem" (or "Good") in my Normal.dot.

I'm using Word 2002 SP-3 (Dutch).

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Canberra,

I copied your good/problem paragraphs and pasted them into a new document, without those styles defined, and both came out looking exactly the same and with the same style attributes (which were slightly different to their original definitions because I use a differnt 'normal' style).

Cheers
    PS: Using Word 2K.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Andrew Lockton on 08-Aug-05 17:24. Re-read the previous post)</P>And now Hans is getting the same thing as you... - You aren't pasting into table cells are you?

I'm using Word 2003 (11.6113.5703).

What result do you get if you change the name of the style to something else before copying it? Ignore that question - I see that you have tried other style names already. Perhaps you can solve the problem by combining both styles with an alias eg "Good, Problem"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The "Good" style pastes as 10 points whatever the font size of the Normal style in the target document.
    The "Problem" style, although defined as "Normal + Font: 10 point, Indent: Left: 1.75 cm", pastes as whatever the font size of the Normal font in the target document is. So if Normal is set to 10 points, everything will look OK. If Normal is set to 12 points, the pasted "Problem" paragraph will be 12 points, and if Normal is set to 14 points, the pasted "Problem" paragraph will be 14 points too.

I cannot discern any difference in the style definitions. If I convert to RTF, the definitions of the styles and the way they are applied looks different, but I don't know enough about RTF to understand what is going on.

My guess is that the Problem style has been corrupted somehow. If I delete this style, then recreate it from scratch, it behaves just like the Good style.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Renaming the style made no difference. I was wondering what size font the normal style is in the document that you are pasting the text into?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The Normal in the file I was pasting into was 12pt Times New Roman - but the problem styled text was 10pt when pasted in.

New Lounger
    Thanks

It looks like Problem is both a paragraph style and a character style in the document, with different font sizes. Good is only a paragraph style?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

BrendaH has found the problem. The Problem style is both a Paragraph and a Character style. In Word 2003 I can see this when I look at the style definition. This is the beginning of a style corruption and may be related to how you originally created the style.

I can see both styles if I look in the Organizer - One is called 'Problem' and the other is called 'Problem Char'. If I rename the problem style then the Char variant changes its name as well (along with a new Char).

I don't know why this manifests itself as a problem only when pasting into another file but the problem/corruption at least can be identified in the source document.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just applied the "Good" style to the word "Does" at the end of the document and now the "Good" style also becomes corrupted (see attached)

Is there a way to prevent this from happening?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks

There are two ways to prevent this happening.

1. Don't use Word 2002 or later

OR

2. Don't apply paragraph styles to characters within a single paragraph. If you want that look then you should create a Character Style properly and apply that to the selection.
    When applying a paragraph style - You CAN have your cursor sitting inside a paragraph (with no selection) OR have the entire paragraph selected OR select a block of text that includes a paragraph mark. None of these cause the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast