Thread: file names

New Lounger
    Thanks

file names

Anyone know where Office2K stores previously created file names and document titles?

BAM

Re: file names

Hi piaqt,

Perhaps you can expand on what you want to know. Are you referring to type of information such as the previous location(s) and author(s) of a document?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm referring to filename.doc, .html, etc.

BAM

I'm sorry, I guess I'm being a little dense here because I still don't know what you actually what.

Can you give us an example of what you want to accomplish?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Are you referring to the Most Recently Used file list in the File Menu?
    Legare Coleman

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If "Are you referring to the Most Recently Used file list in the File Menu" this is true, do a search (find) on 'Recent' and you will find the shortcuts that were made for each and ever 'Recent' file link.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

BAM

Well... actually the MRU list for the Word File menu is stored in the WordData key in the Registry:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customization/DataKeySettings.htm>http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customizatio...KeySettings.htm</A>

The Recent folder stores the shortcuts for the Start/Documents folder.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

New Lounger
    Thanks

OK. When I save a file, after I type the first letter, I get an autocomplete drop-down list of possible names. This includes names of files that no longer exist.

Also: On an Office document, right-click|properties|summary pagedescription title field list contains titles of no-longer-existing files. Some of the titles are from Word, others, from FrontPage.

I'd like to get rid of them. I've searched the registry for individual titles, and done a text-string search of my hard drive, and turned up nothing. They've got to be somewhere.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The autocomplete I'm ignorant of. The metadata contained in the file properties can be manipulated in most office products at File / Properties. You can get a free metadata stripper from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.payneconsulting.com>http://www.payneconsulting.com</A> which does a decent job of stripping individual files. I believe there's an Enterprise edition of the assistant which has more features (like batch stripping) but it will cost you some $$.
    Karen

New Lounger
    Thanks

THANKS!

Thanks

There are actually a number of these lists (depending on where you are in the program) - almost as many as there are context menus!

You may want to take a look at Romke Soldaat's <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.msofficepro.com/features/2001/06/vba200106hk_f/vba200106hk_f.asp> Office Paranoia</A> series on the OfficePro site. This is subscription only, but you can sign up for a free issue and that will give you a 30-day pass (actually mine was more like 45 days) to the site. This lists the different lists and provides an add-in to clear them (selectively or all of them).

The following is a quotation from the above link:
    All Office applications keep track of the file names you type in the Open, Save As, and many other dialog boxes. These names are stored in the registry, under the key HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice9.0CommonO pen Find. (For Office XP, replace the 9.0 subkey with 10.0.) When you reopen any of the file dialog boxes, these file names appear in the File name drop-down list. FIGURE 1 shows how the MRU (Most Recently Used) list for Word's Save As dialog box is stored under the subkey Microsoft WordSettingsSave AsFile Name MRU. By deleting the Value setting you effectively clear the list in the Save As dialog box.

Hope this helps.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks

<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=blue> Charles,
    Thanks for the reg key.</font color=blue></font face=comic>