New Lounger
    Thanks

Update a new record immediately due to duplication (Access 97)

Wow, do I have a problem and I thought I had the locking procedures down right on this. This is 1800 warranty program that two tech people use constantly and at the same time all day. They are entering into the same table via two forms designed specificially for them (added a default name tag for each) - the problem is I have a field that is incremental that is the reference # and should allow no duplicates, but it is not a primary key.. Added concern is the reference # actually calculates out to a warranty authorization number when a click event occurs further down into the data. These guys are getting the same reference # and then the same warranty # - cannot have that. This number is used to authorize warranty claims when turned in. Could it be as simple as assigning the reference # as the primary key and then somehow figuring out code on the reference # to immediately save the record and refresh the table. This is driving them crazy and they are driving me crazy. I do need to add they are computer illiterate and are perfectly content to stay that way. Please help!!

I am trying all sorts of avenues but am not up to speed on writing a lot of code, I do more with macros, queries and forms so you know my developer level (or lack thereof).

Christy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Update a new record immediately due to duplication (Access 97)

Is the database split into Front End / Back End configuration ? I other words is there one database with the data that is being shared by the two user and then each user has their own copy of the "application" database. (the one that contains all the forms, macros, reports...) Or they are they both opening a copy of the same db from the network?
    Richard

New Lounger
    Thanks

No the two users are using the same database - same table - but two different forms (basically built the same). I did not split their information as the reference #s for both users (tech people) have to stay in sequence. Any ideas. The only idea I had was once the table assigns the reference# - it would save the record and refresh the forms. Am I on the right track?

Christy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You'll need VBA code for this. You can find an example in <post#=287,907>post 287,907</post: >.