4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Pst files(s) (2000/2002)

Hello everybody,
    Does anyone know what would be the best option of where to store the Outlook pst files. We have a domain with 80 users and we use a NetNow server. Will it be better to store the pst files on Network or on C: drive? Hence
    Storing pst fiels on C:drive, there is risk as if the machine gets damaged you will lose your mail box, and storing pst files on network might take up server space. Does anyone know what is the best policy for storing Outlook pst files, Any suggestions are much appreciated...
    Thanks Skender

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Pst files(s) (2000/2002)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

The official Microsoft party line is that you shouldn't store .pst files in a network folder - see Personal folder files are unsupported over a LAN or over a WAN link. However, in the office where I work, we use roaming profiles, i.e. users can log in on any machine in the network. If the .pst file is stored on the hard disk of a specific PC, it won't be available if the user logs in on another PC. Hence, most users, including me, store their .pst files in a network folder, and I have never noticed adverse effects on performance. Another advantage is that the network folder is backed up automatically and frequently. The disadvantage is that the .pst is not available when the network is down, but that doesn't happen very often, fortunately. All in all, I favor storing .pst files on the network.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

There's also some discussion later in <!post=this thread,498347>this thread<!/post>.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans and John for your replies and opinions