New Lounger
    Thanks

Meeting Request and Signatures (Outlook 2003 SP1)

We are seeing some inconsistent behavior with Outlook 2003 SP1 in our new WinXP SP2 environment:

If you create a meeting request by double-clicking a timeslot in the Calender, or use Ctrl + N, or use File, New Meeting Request, once you enter one attendee name, the ability to select Insert, Signature is available.

HOWEVER, if you click in the timeslot on the calendar and begin typing the title of the calendar entry, then open it, and enter one attendee name, the Insert, Signature option is grayed out.

I am using HTML as my mail format in Outlook.

Thanks

Re: Meeting Request and Signatures (Outlook 2003 S

A meeting request lets you insert a signature, an appointment does not. Does that cover all the cases?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Actually it is more than that. I realize that an appointment is an entry on the calendar where the Scheduling tab is not utilized.
    However, what I am finding is that when creating a calendar entry (generic term), the user will start as an appointment, click the Scheduling tab and turn it into a meeting request.

Try this:
    1. Use File, New, Appointment. There is no Signature on the Insert menu. However, if you go to the Scheduling tab and enter a user name, once that name is resolved, the Signature option becomes available.
    2. Use File, New, Meeting Request. Right away, Signature is available under the Insert menu,
    3. Now click in a time-slot (I use the 5 day view) and start typing a calendar entry. Hit Enter. Then open that entry, notice that Signature appears under the Insert menu but is grayed out. Even if you use the Scheduling tab to invite someone it will remain grayed out.

thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I can replicate the behavior you demonstrated.

> an appointment is an entry on the calendar where the Scheduling tab is not utilized.

or to put it another way, where there are no attendees (the calendar owner being presumed). MS probably thought that there's no reason to sign an appointment for one's self, but didn't think through the context sensitive options when they programmed the interface.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

> Try this:

> 1. Use File, New, Appointment. There is no Signature on the Insert menu. However, if you go to the Scheduling tab and enter a user name,
    > once that name is resolved, the Signature option becomes available.
    Yes, me too.

> 2. Use File, New, Meeting Request. Right away, Signature is available under the Insert menu,
    Yes, me too.

> 3. Now click in a time-slot (I use the 5 day view) and start typing a calendar entry. Hit Enter. Then open that entry, notice that Signature
    > appears under the Insert menu but is grayed out. Even if you use the Scheduling tab to invite someone it will remain grayed out.
    On mine the extra insert menu item does not appear before the name is added, but otherwise it is the same.

It would be extremely illogical for #1 and #3 to be different. But are they really? Here's a way that they are the same. In #1, create the appointment bu don't add a second person. Save and close the appointment. From then on, it behaves identically to #3. When you reopen it and add a person, the menu item appears and is grayed out. Apparently something in the saving process determines an appointment's character in an irreversible way.