Star Lounger
    Thanks

GIF in DOC displays for me, but red-x for another

An inserted .GIF image displays correctly for me under Word 2002 SP3, but shows as a red-x for another user (say "Al") also using Word 2002 on a different WinXP machine. Why? How do I avoid this problem?

Al prepared a Word .DOC file with a table. One cell contained a .JPG image (Insert->Picture->File). Al emailed it to me as an attachment. I edited it by inserting a .GIF image (Insert->Picture->File) into a different cell just before some text. The following text has a hyperlink association. My insertion used Insert, not Link or Insert and Link. The document looked fine. I emailed it back to Al. When Al opens it on his computer, the .GIF image appears as a red-x.

The .GIF is Adobe's PDF icon that is about 1KB. It is not animated or complex (I believe). Al's computer has more memory and free disk than mine. If I send the updated copy back from Al's computer to mine, it displays correctly.

Thanks for any advice,

Joe M

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: GIF in DOC displays for me, but red-x for another

Sometimes it helps to change images from floating to inline and back, or vice versa, depending on the current layout.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Is this something the recipient (Al) has to do after he notices the problem? Or is it something I can do before giving him the document in order to prevent the problem?

I guess I am also asking if this is some sort of Word quirk rather than something I am doing incorrectly.

Thanks,

Joe M

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's something Al would have to do, since the image is displayed correctly on your PC.

You could also ask Al to try to insert any .gif in a blank document, to see if his installation of Word has problems with this file type in general. If so, the graphics filter for .gif may be missing or corrupt.