New Lounger
    Thanks

TOC and Hyperlinks (Word Professional 2003)

In TOC in Print Layout View would like the page numbers to be "hyperlinks" within the document. I think this used to work in previous Word versions? (Note: when I convert the document to a PDF the page numbers automatically function in Adobe as hyperlinks within the document--but would also like it to work in Word.)

Thanks

Re: TOC and Hyperlinks (Word Professional 2003)

I think there is a checkbox for this in the dialog. However, you also can edit the field code manually. Press Alt+F9 to view your TOC in it's very short field code form. I believe the additional switch to add is h for hyperlink. Actually, I'm not sure whether you can choose to make only the page numbers hyperlinks, or whether it's "all or nothing" on the entry.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think that's standard behaviour. I have a new out-of-the-box install of Word 2003 (Office Pro 2003 NL). When I hover the mouse over the pagenumbers in a TOC, a "tip" comes up, stating (translated from Dutch) "Current document CTRL+CLICK to follow". Doing just that jumps to the corect pagenumber.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks--that worked (CTRL and click)--however I don't get the tooltip you mentioned. But this sure helps! (I'm doing a manual other people will be utilizing, so I will have to put a comment I guess to CTRL + click--it's odd that the display doesn't indicate a hyperlink. I'm sure that past versions did this. Oh well.)
    Thanks again.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I think the hyperlink checkbox in the dialog box is for Web Preview only. The field code forms actually have the h in it. I'm also not sure if the page numbers will display as hyperlinks in this version--although I know past versions automatically displayed page numbers in TOC and index--as well as cross-reference tags, etc., as hyperlinks.
    Thanks

Thanks

I think the tool tips (or Screen Tips) are set by the user under Tools>Options>View. However, I don't have Word 2003 handy to test.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You're right. Screen Tips must be checked to get the behaviour I mentioned earlier in this thread.