New Lounger
    Thanks

error message in access 2002 (2002)

Some of our customers keep getting an error message in our application which is access 2002, it says "the search key is not found in any record!" Just wondering if any one can shine any light on how to prevent this from happening in the future.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Francois

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: error message in access 2002 (2002)

im affraid that this is not the problem, i have no idea what it could be

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It could be corruption in one or more records. Have you tried Tools | Database Utilities | Compact and Repair Database? This will rebuild all indexes in all tables.

New Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for you quick reply......sometimes a compact and repair does work, however sometimes i have to import all the tables into a new database and compact and repair. However some times this does not work and we have to use jetcomp. Getting over it isnt so bad but im really looking for a way to prevent it from happening.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Is your database split into a backend (containing only tables) and frontend (containing all other database objects)? This can prevent some problems. My fellow moderator <!profile=WendellB>WendellB<!/profile> has a short tutorial on his website: Why Split a Database.

New Lounger
    Thanks

yes our application is split allready. anyother ideas? by the way i really do appreciate your help and quick answers

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could check (or have the IT people check) the network connections. A couple of years back two users in the office where I work had recurring problems with Access databases; it was eventually traced to a flaky network segment. Access is extremely sensitive to network glitches.

Some links that may be useful:
    DataRevive.Com - How to prevent Microsoft Access Database Corruption
    Get IT Done: Top 10 ways to prevent Access database corruption

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,
    I was having the same problem, rebuilding the database allowed me to enter the information. This was information for an individual that got corrupted. Thanks for that.
    One more problem, however, once I put the information back in, it isn't linking to the other tables for the one record that I was having the problem with. I checked the other tables and the information is still there, with the same ID as in my master table. Is there a way I can force it to connect? The information for the remaining employees appears to be linking, it is just the one employee that is not. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you put the record back in with the same ID as the original record, things should work OK. If it now has a different ID (for example because it is an AutoNumber field), you will have to update the ID in the other tables.