Star Lounger
    Thanks

Import conversion error?

Importing sheets from Excel 97 format to A97 in VBA using DoCMD.TransferSpreadsheet to create a brand new table for each sheet I import.

One column imports mostly OK except for 7 cells which fail (about 200 records are OK). The field contains Null which causes grief.
    The spreadsheet column is formatted as "number", and the cells contain integers (manually entered, not formula results), including the problematic cells.
    I can't see why the import is failing for these few cells, can anyone offer any suggestions? In addition, there is another column which has many more errors, but in general things run smoothly.

The only complication I know is that one of the users edits the spreadsheet using Excel 2000.

tia
    Marty

sabrantley0623

Re: Import conversion error?

Excel 2000 can cause problems sometimes. If you ever edit a macro in 2K, it will eventually not allow you to see it in Excel 97.

The error would seem to indicate data not meeting the proper requirements. Does the length of any of the data in a field exceed the character limit for integer data type?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Import conversion error?

In general, I have not found that Nulls in worksheet cells cause errors upon import, unless that field is the key, an index or a required field. Are you creating a new table from this or appending into an existing table? Are you sure it is this column, and not the other column you mentioned, that is causing the error? If you attach/send a portion of the table, including the problem records, I'll look at it.
    Unless I'm missing something here, I import from Excel to Access all the time, so this seems unusual to me.