Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word Macros (Word 2003)

OK -- I've looked over dozens of posts about macros. How do you go about copying macros from one compute to another aside from copying the entire normal.dot? Can individual macros be copied from one computer to another?

Thanks,
    Craig.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word Macros (Word 2003)

You can export a module (the container for macros) to a text file using File | Export File in the Visual Basic Editor. You can then send the exported file to another computer using floppy disk, CD, USB drive or e-mail, and import it into the Visual Basic Editor for Word using File | Import File.

If you want to transfer one individual macro, you can copy it to the clipboard, then paste it into an e-mail, or into a text file.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You can copy the individual macros from the VBE window and paste the macro text into a Word document. Transport the Word document to the other computer, and copy the macros from the document and paste them back into the VBE.
    Legare Coleman

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think this is correct, but if not please put me right.
    Go to 'Tools' > 'Templates and Add-Ins' then click Organizer. From here you can copy and move modules and other items between templates and documents.
    (I have used it for transfering styles and autotext entries, but there is a macro items tab as well)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That works for transferring modules (and other items) between documents/templates on one computer. The question was about "copying macros from one compute to another".

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

I suppose one could then copy the target document/template and transfer that to the other computer. That would avoid transferring normal.dot, which seemed to be part of the concern. I'm not sure whether custom toolbars related to the macros would be transferred as part of that process. If not, you can use a similar approach to transfer any custom toolbars that go with the macros, via View|Toolbars|Customise.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Toolbars will not be copied automatically when you copy macros.
    The Organizer has 4 tabs: Styles, AutoText, Toolbars, Macro Project Items (i.e. modules)
    AutoText entries can only be copied to a template, not to a document. The other items can be copied to a document or template.

Thanks

As you can see, you have lots of options. Your choice might depend on whether you plan to assist with the installation on the receiving end in person, in which case you typically would choose what will be fastest and easiest for you, or whether the recipient must install the macros without assistance, or with phone assistance only. If I am installing, forwarding a BAS file (or TXT file containing the code) often is best. I can visit, open the file, paste into a module in Normal.dot, save, and it's done. If I'm sending, I may want to send something more automated...