3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel Program Error (2000 sp3)

Help! I keep getting an error in Excel that shuts down Excel and leaves me with a message about an error log. Does anyone know what may be causing this and where the heck the log is so I can look at it? I've even tried scanning my disk for recently created files and can't find it. Is this just another cruel Microsoft joke or does the log really exist somewhere?
    I have a sneaky suspicion that memory usage may be a part of this issue but I haven't been able to confirm that. It is happening in a large Excel workbook while executing a macro that does considerable automation with Word documents.
    I'll try to attach an image of the error message.
    All suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel Program Error (2000 sp3)

Without seeing the workbook it is impossible for us to know what could be the cause. The error message you attached is very generic, it doesn't provide any information.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for responding Hans. Is there any way to view the log the message talks about? The workbook is over 10 meg and there are other files that go along with it so I don't think attaching it is possible.
    I've been monitoring the memory usage using the perfomance tab of the Windows Task Manager and it doesn't seem to be a memory issue. I have seen the "Available" memory number dip below 43000 in some cases and still be above 120000 when the error occurs. It is hard to track because it doesn't happen at the same place every time. I tried bumping up my virtual memory paging and that seemed to help a bit but it's hard to say, I had also closed some other things that were open so it may have been a coincidence. Are there other system resources that could be a factor here? Would the log give us more information?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The following procedure is how you look at the logs on Windows 2000. The procedure may be a bit different on other versions of Windows.

1- On the Start Menu select Settings then Control Panel.

2- In the Control Panel, double click on the Administrative Tools Icon.

3- Double click on Event Viewer.

You can now look at the Application, Security, and System logs. Warning, the information displayed is going to be very technical and esoteric.
    Legare Coleman

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the great tip! I'll get on that right away and see if I can make any sense out of the information. I'm not getting very far with my current brute force approach though I do seem to be narrowing down the possible causes.

One possibility is that the Word document I am building though automation in the Excel VB code is somehow causing corruption of the code in memory. I have seen some strange things happen on a form that loaded and then unloaded only to work fine when reloaded later.