2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2003 (2003)

Just wondering how other environments are managing email. Our firm has attorneys conducting a large portion of business through email. However, none of that information is wending its way to the files like paper files would. Most won't print their emails and/or pass it to their secretaries to print - we're drowing in email hell. [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img] In the meantime, we can't find who has what.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Outlook 2003 (2003)

In our practice group, we created a mailbox which I will call "electronic chron" or E-CHRON for short. All outgoing messages to clients, adverse counsel, vendors (in the context of client matters) are to be blind copied to this address. I actually use a macro that displays a "client mail yes or no" message box and adds the address to new messages as appropriate (and many other things, not relevant to this discussion).

In the old days, we actually printed all of these outgoing messages and filed them with the chron files for paper mail, which led to boxes of stuff no one ever looked at. Now it is piling up on the Exchange Server for future reference, but not in a public folder...

We did try the WORLDOX method for a while, but we tend to slack off on that until it is time to pass the project along to someone else, at which point the person who stuffed all the relevant emails in a folder will profile them properly. In a way, this bulk profiling is more efficient that one by one, but it does mean that no one can put their finger on a message without human intervention.

Is there a better way? One can hope!

Thanks

Re: Outlook 2003 (2003)

I just realized I didn't address your question! Chron files really are only a backup. Printing emails is a matter of discipline that needs to come from the top. My own system is to never remove a message from Inbox or Sent Items without printing it or being reasonably assured that someone else is printing it. (Even the laziest person can select all client emails in the Inbox, right-click, and use Forward Items to send them to someone for printing.) If an attorney cannot be trusted to print, someone else should be given access to those folders and make sure it happens (in an Exchange environment; otherwise, it's difficult).