Lounger
    Thanks

outgoing e-mail (outlook 2000)

How to set up e-mail when on the road at hotel either wireless or hardwire, how to get SMTP?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: outgoing e-mail (outlook 2000)

Is this using your laptop, or one provided by hotel?

If a hotel provided computer, you do not want to use the likes of Outlook and etc. If you email provider provides a "Internet access point" then that is the way to do it. But, if your provider does not then you will need to use a third party entry point.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Re: outgoing e-mail from hotel (outlook 2000)

The general rule is: mail servers should refuse to relay for you if they cannot authenticate you. The most common way to authenticate you is to see that you are connected through their network (e.g., you dialed in or used a broadband connection with that ISP). Another option is to have your mail program send a username and password when requesting the server to send. Often this is done using encryption so that your username and password can't be easily stolen off the wire.

So... if your hotel provides the connection, for example, through a broadband portal, the hotel or its ISP partner should provide you with an SMTP server to use. You can enter this information into Outlook's account setup and then change it back when you get your computer to the next network. Or, if the mail server for the account you are accessing lets you authenticate, you can enter that information into your account settings and it will work anywhere you go. For that, your ISP usually provides detailed documentation for Outlook Express. The Outlook configuration is almost exactly the same.

Does that help?

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: outgoing e-mail (outlook 2000)

Thanks Dave, i was talking about my Laptop, an my e-mail provider does not supply outside access so i will have to use a third party.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: outgoing e-mail from hotel (outlook 2000)

Thanks this did help next time i will just ask hotel what their SMPT is.