3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Open dialog Box (Office 2003)

Our campus recently upgraded to Office 2003 - I have a user who says whenever they try to open an office file, they get the yellow triangle and message "the command cannot be performed because a dialog box is open - click ok, close open box" he does this and then is prompted for his user name (which is already filled in) and then his initials, he enters initials, clicks on ok and all is well. He should not have to do this every time though. No on else has called about this - is there a setting I can check?
    thanks

Thanks

Re: Open dialog Box (Office 2003)

If you are running Norton Anti Virus, this article may have the solution.

Edited to add: Actually there are a few more causes for this message. Check out this Knowledge Base search
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did see that but we run McAfee and it is strange that no one else has this problem. I will keep looking though.

Thank you!

Thanks

Generic Answer: Does this happen only when Word is closed and a DOC file is double-clicked in Windows Explorer (or an email message attachment area) to launch Word and open that file? (The other scenario being that Word is already open.) If so, something that runs at Word start-up only on this computer could be causing the error.

More Specific to Your Scenario: The prompt to enter one's name and initials usually occurs when a computer has not had Office fully set up for a new user profile, or the user information was not saved because the user had a very low level of privileges. I haven't checked the documentation on Office 2003, but earlier versions typically required that the user be created as at least a "Power User" (in the Administrator - Power User - User hierarchy of Windows 2000). Do any of these scenarios apply to this user?