Star Lounger
    Thanks

Track Changes - still in document (Word 2000)

Can this happen? I have a user who swears she accepted/rejected all changes in the document and then saved it. However when the document was later opened again the changes were still there. I suspect she did not accept/reject the changes, rather I think she went into the Highlight Changes dialog and unchecked Highlight Changes on Screen, however she vehemently denies this. Unfortunately I didn't get to see the document when it was re-opened so I couldn't check what options were selected in Track Changes.

Is there any way the changes could still be there if she had in fact acepted/rejected them all?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Track Changes - still in document (Word 2000)

If the user really accepted all changes, then saved the document, the tracked changes could be visible if
    a) File | Versions was turned on, and she went back to a previously saved version.
    or
    [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] She reopened the document with the "Recover text from any file" option. It wouldn't look like a formatted Word document then, however.
    Otherwise, tracked changes are not available any more after accepting them and saving the document.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, that's what I thought. There were no versions, so this reinforces my belief that she only hid them.

Adri

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

One thing that many users at my place of work do is to accept all changes while forgetting to actually turn off the "Track Changes" feature. Accepting or Rejecting changes under this condition will "remove" all tracked changes, but more will appear as soon as the document goes into Page Layout or as soon as a TOC is updated. (Check to see if the TRK indicator is turned on in the Status Bar after they've accepted their changes.)
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike