Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sharing a computer (Outlook 2003) (11.63... sp1)

We are using Exchange Server 5.5 now but will be moving to Exchange 2003. We have people who share computers, and usually logon to the computer as a generic user rather than themselves. I have setup the computer as the generic user to prompt for a profile. If a new user creates a new profile and selects Cached Exchange mode, then anyone could choose that profile and read their offline mailbox. This is a bad security problem. Any one have an idea how to prompt for a username and password without showing someones mail?

Thanks

Re: Sharing a computer (Outlook 2003) (11.63... sp

I can't solve your Outlook problem, but I think people should log in with proper credentials in the first place. All of your network security auditing tools depend on this information to go beyond the simple machine name, IP address, and/or MAC address.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sharing a computer (Outlook 2003) (11.63... sp

Exchange 2003 requires Active Directory. In simple terms, this means a mail account is only accessible through a Windows logon of exactly the same name.

Exchange 5.5 allows you to have more than one mailbox available to a Windows log-on. Once you switch to Exchange 2003, you will no longer be able to do this.

Why not "bite the bullet" now, and start training users now for the new system?

Hope This Helps
    Gre