2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Interactive Powerpont Presentation (2000)

I am unsure what software(s) would be best suited for what I am trying to accomplish. In an effort to streamline I would like to automate some staff education and training. I would like to present information via a Powerpoint presentation that staff can review at their convenience. Upon completion of the review staff must take a short online quiz on the material reviewed.

When taking the short multiple choice test I would like the staff to get instant feedback on answer selection whether the choice was correct or not and why. Also, at the end I would like to have a score generated.

Via what software or combination of software can I best accomplish this?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Interactive Powerpont Presentation (2000)

Without a software package to do this all in one...it could turn out to be quite a project to tackle. I am not sure what software is out there to do this in one go...but what I could suggest is to start with a powerpoint show (IOW...save a powerpoint presentation as a Show) so the person can double click on an icon and the show starts immediately. On the last slide you could put a hyperlink to trigger a small access database that will provide the questions on a form. The DB can also store the answers for you and provide the delegate with a score at the end of the last question. (PS: you could use Excel to do this too if you are not familiar with setting up a small DB...but it will be harder to keep track and compile scores over multiple worksheets/books.)

As I say...it will be quite a project to set up...but using a PPT Show and Access...it should be able to be achieved!

Cheers
    Regards,
    Rudi

Super Moderator
    Thanks

An alternative to creating a testing database would be to use one of the commercial testing packages. I can't make any recommendations, but if you google on "Testing software" you should get a number of hits.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I use opus pro that is pretty good for the testing part but I don't know about the instant response, I beleive that you can download a fully working trial to experiment with

Danny

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It would be nice if you could post a link.

Thanks

You could take a look at Qarbon's ViewletBuilder and ViewletCam products. The first knits screen shots together into a Flash file, and supports quizzes in some manner. The second captures a running PowerPoint presentation to Flash. I assume you can combine those things, but you might inquire. This presumes that you have some additional budget (as a bundle, they cost $400), which might be a bad assumption!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

My apologies, the link to Digital Workshops the authors of Opus Pro is posted below

http://www.digitalworkshop.com/products

Danny

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I thought I had seen a posting on the powerpoint board some time ago that addressed this. I could not find it in my archives or in a search. So attached is a small presentation that might help.

The first slide is labeled "info". One would substitute as many slides as desired for this one to present the basic material.

The rest of the slides deal with the test. I've used a slide show in slides 4+5 to group things together (maybe not necessary) and hyperlinks to deal with the questions and navigating to "detail" slides dealing with right and wrong answers. Although this was done in ppt 2003, I believe these basic features are available in 2000.

There is an "intermittent bug" that I may have resolved: sometimes when clicking (in slide show mode) when viewing the last slide (labeled "Summary"), it goes to ppt's "End of Slide Show" msg (which is all I wanted it to do) and sometimes it goes back to the previous slide (the bug). But it does not go into an endless loop, at least not in my limited testing. I didn't see anything that allows me to click to end the show. But if I made the last slide it's own show and linked to it as a show rather than a slide, then things seemed to work.

As far as counting the number of right and wrong answers, I believe this could be done with ppt VBA. But that is beyond my skill. Moreover, I think you'd have to provide a more rigorous definition of how to count right and wrong answers. Suppose, as I have in Question 1, there are 2 wrong answers. If the user clicks both wrong answers, does that count as 2 questions and 2 wrongs or 1 question and 1 wrong? If the user clicks a wrong answer followed by the right answer, how is that counted?

Best of all, this is free if you have ppt.

HTH.

Fred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I think that Fred is refering to Shyam Pillai's Quiz in PowerPoint using VBA. HTH --Sam
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Just an additional note: another Microsoft MVP, Bill Foley, does this for a living. You can check him out at http://www.pttinc.com/power_point.htm
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You got it Sammy and it even does the scoring.

Fred