Thread: Large folders

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Large folders

Hi.

I was trying to free up some space on my laptop running Win2k, and the item that struck me as being huge was the 1.5Gb WinNT folder. Further investigation showed that, apart from System32 which I have no desire to poke around in (depite it occupying 500Mb), the next three largest directories, occupying some 700Mb between them are:

CSC (holding exiting directories like "D5", "D6", etc)
    ServicePackFiles
    $NTServicePackUninstall$

Questions - what are these directories for, can I safely delete them, and what might I lose if I do?

Thanks.

Stuart

Thanks

Re: Large folders

Nominally speaking:

CSC (Client-Side Caching) - see this article at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://enterprise.cnet.com/enterprise/0-9566-7-5589717.html>cnet</A> - not something I'm otherwise particlarly knowledgeable on.

ServicePackFiles - presumably ready and waiting if you want to (quickly) re-apply a service pack.

$NTServicePackUninstall$ - what you need if you want to unistall and go back to the state you were in before the last application of an SP.

I think the second comes as an option when installing an SP from a network or web location. The last is (usually) always an option when you install an SP.

Edited to add:
    This didn't really answer your question in full - but I would say in respect of 'What if':
    CSC - no idea
    SPF - I don't believe there is an automatic 're-install SP from last location' facility, so I would expect no harm
    Uninstall - not sure what the impact on the SP entry in Add/Remove programs would be - at a guess it would just come up with an error if it could not find the files.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks.

CSC I'll leave well alone then, but unless anyone is about to scream at me not to be so stupid, I'll delete the other two...<gulp>!

Stuart

Thanks

Yes. May just be worth waiting 24hrs in case someone has another view.
    BTW - I would expect the files/folders may be too big for the recycle bin, so don't try deleting them on the basis of being able to recover them...