2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Archiving to CD-ROM (2003 SP1)

Judging by my search results, it's a while since this question has been asked so I'll ask it again of Outlook 2003. Is it possible to archive historic .PST files to CD-ROM and use them in Outlook without copying them back to the hard drive and removing the Read-Only attribute? The amswer to this was "no" for Outlook 2000 but what about 2003?

In a previous job I used Lotus Notes, I think it was version 4. There was a feature in there whereby if you ran a little utilitiy against a mailbox, (I think the shortcut was Shift-F9), the mailbox would be prepared for archiving to CD. It appeared to make Notes regard the mailbox as "locked" and unable to be updated. Thus, if you then copied the mailbox to CD, Outlook would open them from the CD without worrying about its read-only status. If you copied the file to CD without this step, Notes complained that it couldn't open the mailbox as it was read-only.

This was three or four years ago and I'm hoping, (probably forlornly), that Microsoft has enabled a similar feature in Outlook 2003. It makes archiving much more convenient.

Let me down gently...
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Archiving to CD-ROM (2003 SP1)

'Fraid you're out of luck. MSKB article How to create a .pst file in Outlook 2003 still says
    <hr>When you copy a .pst file from a CD-ROM, from a CD-R, or from a CD-RW, make sure that the file attributes for the .pst file are changed from Read Only to Archive before you start Outlook.<hr>
    The same as earlier versions...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. I can't say I'm surprised. Maybe Outlook 2006...?!?
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Don't count on it...