Lounger
    Thanks

central custom dictionary (2000)

Does anyone know of a way to have multiple users at separate workstations using a single central custom dictionary. In Word it is a simple matter of creating a custom dictionary on a network share and then pointing all your users to it. There does not seem to be an equivalent procedure in Access.
    Thanks,
    Frank

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: central custom dictionary (2000)

I think if you create a central custom dictionary in Word, it will be available in Access too.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Hans,

There does not seem to be anyway to "inform" Access that you intend to use that central custom dictionary that was created in Word. In fact, if I invoke spellcheck via "DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSpelling" I do not seem to have any control over what dictionary is used. If it finds a word it does not recognise I get the 'Spelling dialog' and I have an option to add the word but apparently only to the dictionaries listed in the "Add word to" dropdown and that list seems to be populated by Access (?) examining the files in the Cocuments and Settings<user>Application DataMicrosoftProof folder. I can find no information regarding a programmatic way (nor manual for that matter!) to tell Access to use a specific custom dictionary. Actually, the word presented in the 'Spelling dialog' as a misspelling may in fact already be in one of the dictionaries listed in the dropdown list.
    Can you point me to some place that I can find information about how to control the dictionary?
    This is important in this application because mulitple users are sharing the backend data and entering descriptive information into a catalog. That catalog information will be published and exported directly from the database.
    Thanks again,
    Frank

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The location of the custom dictionary is stored in the registry, in the Custom Dictionary value in

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice9.0AccessS peller

The default setting for me was CUSTOM.DIC, without a path, and as you write, this is assumed to be in Cocuments and Settings<user>Application DataMicrosoftProof. I created a small Custom.dic in another folder, and entered its full path+filename in the above registry value, and it was then used by Access.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info Hans. I am considering what the implications are for this. I assume that there is only one custom dictionary location allowed in the registry, is that true? I would have to be sure that all users of this application had their registry entries changed as you indicate. It does not seem reasonable to change the registry as the application starts and change back to the default as it closes (mostly because they might actually have Word or any other application running simultaneously and this specific custom dictionary is intended only for this application). I'm not sure that it is reasonalbe that all users of this specific system should have their custom dictionaries found only in the one common location. Am I missing something here?
    Thanks for your help!
    Frank

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Access seems to be much less flexible in this than Word. There is only one entry in the registry for a custom dictionary, and no support to set the path interactively.

The alternative would be to install the special custom dictionary in everybody's default location on C:.

Lounger
    Thanks

The only problem with that is that the dictionary will, in all likelyhood, be changing as it will need new "terms" added to it periodically - that presents a nightmare of having to keep track of who added what when and how to keep everyone's dictionary in sync (that sounds like a new application right there!)
    Thanks,
    Frank

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Spell Check isn't necessarily a good idea in Access anyhow, since it can drag the application performance down. Why do you need a custom dictionary? If the items are somewhat standardized (or standardized enough so that you think you should use a dictionary) why not use a dropdown with a custom list instead?
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Charlotte,
    The reason for the custom dictionary is that the application is (essentially) a catalog of items with text descriptions. The text may be a sentence or two or as large as a paragraph. The descriptions use various terms that are standard to their industry and they would like to be sure that they are spelled correctly (not to mention the standard English that we all sometimes butcher!). I am certainly open to ideas but SpellCheck seems to be the only reasonable way at this point.
    Thanks,
    Frank

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, but this sounds to me more like something that should be built in Word if you're storing large blocks of text. How are you actually using the information in Access?
    Charlotte