3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Entries Disappearing from Start/All_Programs (WinX

Recently I've had at least two program entries (IE and Word) disappear from the list produced by clicking Start/All_Programs. They will execute from Start/Run/(Programfilename).exe. Yes, I've looked in ALL the Microsoft entries. Microsoft Office lists only Producer for PowerPoint.

I run AVG Grisoft (the free one) for AV and WinPatrol for housekeeping. I don't know (and don't know where to find) the SP level on WXP-HE that I'm running. I did go the the MS site and let it scan my system for updates and it found none. The auto-update is enabled; so I'm guessing I'm as current as can be. Where do I find the 'About Windows' information?

What's going on here? Have I finally lost ALL of it?

TIA

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Entries Disappearing from Start/All_Programs (WinX

Technically, Start | All Programs shows you the content of two folders: Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuPrograms and Cocuments and Settings< your username >Start MenuPrograms.

You can add shortcuts to these folders, right-clicking on the empty space, selecting from pop-up menu New | Shortcut and following the wizard.

You can restore deleted shortcuts to Microsoft Office applications: click Start | Control Panel, then "Add or Remove Programs", from Installed Programs list select "Microsoft Office..." (or "Microsoft Word", if you have standalone program), click Change button and from Office Installer dialog select Repair option.

To get "About Windows" information, press 'Windows' and 'Pause/Break' keys on your keyboard simultaneously or right-click "My Computer" icon on your desktop and from pop-up menu choose Properties. If you don't have "My Computer" icon, click Start | Control panel, then "Performance and Maintenance (on Category view only), then System. You will see which Service Pack was installed under System on General tab.

The cause of lost shortcuts is probably WinPatrol, but I am not sure. If you notice lost shortcuts recently, you can try restore Windows to the date before it was happen (Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Entries Disappearing from Start/All_Programs (

Howdy and Thank You, kaplinb!!

Tried both approaches you outlined for returning shortcuts to Start/All_Programs but neither worked.

Your directions to get to the Windows information were spot on. I'm still getting used to XP after having used Win95/98/ME for a long long time. It's just different enough that old learned techniques don't always work.

Again, thanks for your help.