Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost ability to create filter rules??? (OUT XP)

I recently lost the ability to create filter rules. I get an error message "This rule could not be created. Check your folder permissions"

I can't see how to check the folder permissions...none of the help pages have this problem and checking folder properties does not show a permissions tab.

Anyone know what happened and how to fix it?

tia

Tom O'Connell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost ability to create filter rules??? (OUT XP)

Do you have a previuously created rule that you stopped before it ran? If so, try deleting that rule. See MSKB article OL2000: Error Message: "This rule could not be created." Canceling Run Rule Now.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans-

Thanks for your help. It solves my problem...sort of. At least it lets me express the issue differently and I learned a work around.

Apparently I have no problem if I create the rules using Tools, Rules wizard. But if I use Tools, Organize (which is how I had previously created rules) it will not work.

Does that give you a different slant on what I can/should do???

thanks again,

tom

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I know very little about Outlook rules, hopefully someone else can help.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

This is an existing Rule that is broken, correct? Can you still create new Rules through Tools | Organize (or by clicking what I call the yellow 'Tetris' button)? I can't access XP right now, but you can modify Rules created through Organizer by going through the Tools | Rules dialogs. I suspect that your "permissions" problem has to do with a change made to a folder - if the Folder is changed so that the Folder ID changes, and a Rule uses the Folder ID, the Rule can lose the Folder and cease to work. Can you reset any Folder reference through the Rules dialog? If that doesn't help, can you describe the Rule more completely?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John-

No, I cannot make any new rules using the tetris box, but I CAN make a rule using Tools, Rules wizard without any error message.

I don't think I've changed any folder (I did add a new one.) To check this as a problem, I moved the .pst file over from my desktop and I still have the same issue, so I have to figure there is some configuration issue on this machine. Both machines are running Office XP, but the one running W2k is having a problem...I'm starting to think it came from some W2K update (I do the on auto), but that is reaching...

Where do I look for the folder permissions??? I cannot even find a setting for them.

thanks,

tom

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Folder permissions apply to Exchange Server Folders, not to a PST (and not to a standalone Outlook Client). Individual Folder Permissions can be set by right clicking the Folder and selecting Properties | Permissions. You can also set Folder Permissions under Tools | Options | Delegates. Considering your problem, first look for Permission settings that restrict yourself as Owner.

I have doubts that you'll find a Permissions setting that messes up your Organize Rules, but anything is possible. If adjusting Permissions doesn't help, try to delete and recreate the problem Rule through the Wizard. If you still have trouble, post back.

(And my apologies for the delay in answering.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

John-

Thanks for chiming in. All of my existing rules seem to work (I also tried unchecking them all to see if one was gumming it up before I tried to create another rule but that didn't work). I just cannot create a new rule using organizer (but I can make one using the rules wizard).

I tried looking for Properties, Permissions but there is no exact dialog like that.... there is an administration tab and the two settings are grayed out...apparently with neither selected. The choices are: All users with permission; owners only.

Just to be clear, this is not an exchange server setup...single user, .pst file setup.

Any idea how/why the permissions got disabled??? and how to reenable them?????

thanks a lot,

tom

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost ability to create filter rules??? (OUT XP

I'm experiencing the same problem. Any gurus out there who can fix it for me?

As with Tom, this is a single user application (ie., NOT MS Exchange)

Thanks