Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Increase NTFS cluster size

I'm trying to increase the cluster size from 512 bytes to 4 kB on an NTFS volume without affecting the data or the bootability of the PC.

Microsoft suggests a reformat. Thanks, but no thanks...

I've found that Acronis Partition Expert 2003 (or presumably its successor, Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0), alleges it can do this, for $50.

Has anyone any experience of this/these products, or could suggest a cheap (but reliable) alternative?

Thanks!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Increase NTFS cluster size

John,

Not sure if this will handle resizing but worth checking into: Boot Manager, Partition Manager, and Drive Image Utility - BootIt Next Generation. At $34.95 USD it is less expensive than Acronis.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Joe I will "check it out", even though there is no mention of "cluster" in the testimonials, and the final screen shot, of lightning, is a little unsettling!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John, I own Acronis Disk Director Suite but haven't done too much with it. I bought it when I got tired of Partition Magic and have only done some FAT32 partition modifying with it so far. On my primary machine I only have one NTFS partition and it's not a boot partition. But, if you can stand to wait for Saturday or Sunday, I'll see if I can change the cluster size without destroying the data. I can always restore it from my latest backup if it screws up. If the knowledge is of no use to you without the "bootability" answer, please let me know so I won't spend the time over the weekend experimenting. Otherwise, I'll fool around with it tomorrow or Sunday.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Al

That would be very kind, but of course in my case the result needs to be both bootable and accessible. Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid, but boot partitions tend to be less easily recoverable! Perhaps the documentation states that this is "no problem"?

Thanks

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I looked in the installed PDF User Doc John, and the section on changing cluster sizes talks only about how to do the job - there's no mention of bootability whatsoever. I also looked in the Help within the program and (I can't believe this) the help file isn't searchable. So, reading through all I could, I'd be hesitant to suggest you spend your money on ths program without something more concrete than what I have found.

Given your level of concern on this one, it seems the most "safe" way for you to try this would be to make an exact COPY of the partition on a spare drive (i.e., NOT an image). Once you decide which product you're going to try, at least you could do the test on a spare, not the "live" partition. Seems funny to say, but I have high confidence in this program and Partition Magic before it, but since changing cluster sizes is not something I've ever done, I must be cautious, as you are.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,
    Apparently, Partition Magic 8.0 will resize clusters without a reformat. The following is from a review (NewEgg?):