Lounger
    Thanks

Standby resume failure (WXP Pro SP2)

My system will go into Standby, Fans & drives spin down, power light blinks, but hangs on resume (which can be initiated by either space bar or mouse). The drives and fans spin up OK, but there is no video (not even a "No signal" message, no cursor), and no response from the mouse or keybd after spin up. Reset (warm boot) gets the system going. No BSOD, no error messages. Standby has worked well in the past - but I do not know if any addition caused this. I wonder if it is a SATA (Promise controller) problem? I have an 8 MB partition for Bootitng as the first partition on the first HDD, followed by a 19.5GB partition for XP Pro. Bios settings are all correct, as far as I can tell (of course the HDDs do not show in the bios, as they are on the Promise controller) .
    My searches haven't turned up any useful info - this issue must be peculiar to my setup!
    Details of my system:-
    XPPro SP2 plus all applicable hot fixes; 420 W Topower PSU; UPS; Asus 4P4E mobo; 1 GB RAM [2 sticks]; Asus D-V9520 Video Card (Nvidia FX5200); 2 * 160GB Seagate SATA HDD, 1 * Seagate 80GB PATA HDD, all connected to on-board Promise controller [non raid]; Iomega Zip Drive (on SCSI card); Pioneer 108 burner as master on primary IDE port; FDD; Logitech cordless keybd & mouse; Scanner; Printers; latest available drivers installed for all items.

Thanks

Re: Standby resume failure (WXP Pro SP2)

I'd be inclined to check all your drivers are up to date - see this at techspot where one of the issues fixed was returning from hibernate.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for prompting me to search further for drivers - I was using the latest Promise Controller driver from Asus thinking that would be the most up-to-date (even though it was unsigned. I found a later driver (signed) and that has fixed the issue. My system will now resume from standby OK. It isn't going into standby after the time interval selected in Power Options, but that is not a concern. I haven't tested hibernate yet.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

You may want to look at some of these MS KnowledgeBase articles: Search The Knowledge Base for some debugging of standby issues.

Joe
    Joe