Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Compatibility Problem (WXP Home)

A friend has a program that only runs under W98. I set up the W98 compatibility under Properties. However, after clicking on the program's icon (or shortcut) nothing happens until we click on Start and then My Computer. Once we do that the program starts up.

Any suggestions on how to get the program to start without having to go to My Computer?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Compatibility Problem (WXP Home)

Perhaps someone will have a suggestion if you tell us which program your friend is trying to run.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are you saying that you have to go to My Computer, then navigate to the program's executable file, instead of using the program's shortcut icon on the desktop?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

The program is called "Tides" -- it calculates the tides and currents. The sequence to run it goes like this:

1. Click on the Tides program icon (or shortcut). -- Nothing happens!

2. Click on "My Computer" -- the My Computer screen starts to open and immediately the Tides window pops open.

Curious isn't it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I can't find anything relevant on Google. Perhaps your friend will have to live with it. (What happens if My Computer is started before Tides?)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Very curious, indeed. I have a couple of questions. Have you tried running it in other compatibility modes? If you click on Windows Explorer instead of My Computer, does it exhibit the same weird behavior? What happens if you try starting the program from a command prompt?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

I tried running My Computer first, and then Tides -- it worked! Not only that, but now Tides works everytime without opening My Computer again!!

However, I will need to try restarting the computer to see if we always have to run My Computer before Tides will run. I'll try to let you know how it goes.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't understand it but I do wonder if the fact that you changed the compatibility in the program's properties might mean that the shortcut you're executing might need to be re-created. I have no basis for thinking this - it's just a wild thought... and if you do it, I would create the shortcut directly from the program's EXE file, not some previously created entry in the Start Menu or elsewhere.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's what I was thinking, and was why I suggested trying other compatibility modes and going directly to the executable file - instead of using the alias on the desktop.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I hope I will not incur your wrath by pointing out that your story indicates the falsity of the olde proverb:

<big>Time and Tides wait for no man...</big>

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all of you. The program now works normally this was after rebooting and restarting My Computer and the program in various sequences. What exactly cured the problem remains a mystery, but all is well.