Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Download pauses (IE6)

When ever I try to download files of any size (today 816Kb) the downloader pauses after a while (it may 32%), I cancel that and try again and it may get to 25% and pauses.
    Can I change my downloader to something like GetRight?

Is there something I could check to find what the problem is?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Re: Download pauses (IE6)

Is this a dialup or broadband connection? What OS? What service pack is installed? Is the download from one site or any site?

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry for the lack of info, it's a dialup, it's Windows XP SP1.

The download can be from any site.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

First, I'd strongly suggest that you install XP Sp-2. Start here: Windows XP Service Pack 2 for more information. After SP-2 you need to visit Windows Update and get all the latest patches. Then, if the problem still exists get a download manager.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your advice re Windows XP SP2, I am going to update my Windows to the latest very soon.

Can you tell me more about the download manager, would GetRight be one of these?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Pat,
    You might want to try Download Express from the MetaProducts corporation. It is free, and integrates well into IE 6. You don't need to purchase the 'Advanced Features' unless you want to do so. There is also a Download Express plugin for Firefox. Download Express

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

For many years GetRight has had a click monitoring feature. Go to Tools|Configuration|Monitor (version 5.2). This overrides most other download features in browsers etc. (FYI I now only use GetRight as a last resort.) HTH
    Gre

Thanks

816K isn't a very big file to DL. I don't know that a DL manager would do much for your problem.

How much RAM do you have?
    Empty your TIF folder, History and cookies.
    Install SP2 and all the patches as Joe said.

Has this just started recently? If so, what changes have you made to your system since?
    If your modem is on a serial port, have you checked the port settings and set the speed to max?
    Do you hear any noise or interference on your dialup line using a regular telephone to monitor it?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your rsponse Bob.

Ram: 512Mb
    You're right, 816K is not a big file, but it takes a heck of a long time to download. What is a download manager anyway?

I have deleted the History and cookies. Where do I find the TIF folder?
    It's been going on for 4-5 months at least, you know what happens when you don't write things down, you tend to forget, or at least I do.
    My modem is a serial port, where would I check the port settings.

I am going to buy a 80Gb disk and install Windows XP on that, reinstall everything else and see what happens. However I won't do that for a couple of weeks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

What's a click monitoring feature?

When you say it "overrides most other download features in browsers", does that only happen when GetRight is running?

If you don't use GetRight, then what do you use?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I have downloaded Download Express and installed it but I cannot find how to run it.

Is it now my default download manager for IE6?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Click Monitoring = since version 2 of GetRight, it has had the option of detecting when you click on a downloadable file and automatically taking over the downloading. (This option makes it the default Download Manager.)

From the GetRight 5.2 Help file:<blockquote><hr>Starting Downloads with GetRight:

1) Monitoring clicks in your web browser.

This method is by far the easiest. It works with any version of Netscape Navigator or Communicator, or Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 or higher.
    GetRight will be triggered by these web browsers to automatically download some file types. Just use your web browser as usual--GetRight will work when it needs to.
    Gre

Thanks

Patt,
    A download manager is software that:
    supposedly speeds up DL by getting a file from several servers simultaneously.
    Allows resume of a DL if connection is broken instead of starting all over again.
    Scheduling of DLs.
    I guess I am not a great fan of these "managers". Some people swear by them.

TIF folder is usually located at Cocuments and Settingsusernamelocal settingsTemp Internet files. You can delete all of these files.
    Also just above that is the Temp folder. Delete as much as you can in there. Usually there are two temp files that current and will not let you delete them.
    The easiest way to clear these folders is to go to Internet options>general. There you will see places to clear TIF, cookies and history all on the first page.

Port settings:
    Go to Device manager>ports>port settings. Bump the port speed up to max even if you only have a 56k modem.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I have cleared those folders thank you.
    Why aren't you a fan of those DL managers?

I have set the max speed to 115Kb, I couldn't find Device manager>ports>port settings. I found Phone/Modems in Control Panel, then Modems/Properties/Modem and that is where I set the maximum port speed to 115K, have I done this correctly?

Thanks for your help Bob.

Thanks

Pat,
    I just never was able to see any big ( any ) advantage to those managers when I was on dial up. With DSL now I see even less need or plus to using them. JMHO.

Port settings: yep, you just went in another door to get to the right place. It does seem strange that you didn't see any "ports" item listed in Device Manager if you are using a serial port modem.
    Right click My Computer, then click properties>Hardware and you should see a Device Manager Tab.
    Then you should see "ports" Comm & LPT. open that box up and the comm port should be there.
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast