3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Retaining archive copies after a purge

I'm a new Palm user and I suspect I've overlooked something obvious, but here goes. I have a Palm Vx and I'm synching to Outlook 2000. I have the Palm set to synchronize rather than having the Palm overwrite the PC or vice versa. When I purge date book or to do list entries on the Palm, even though I have Save archive copy on PC selected, I lose all the deleted items on my PC after I hotsync. Any ideas on how to retain these items on the PC? Thanks.

Lee Morgan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Retaining archive copies after a purge

Synchronize changes data on both sides. If you delete an item on the Palm, a synchronize will delete it from the PC side as well, and vice versa. You basically have only 4 options: Outlook overwrites Palm, Palm overwrites Outlook, sync all changes on both sides or do nothing.

One of the nice things about the new m500 series is that you can backup items to a "memory" card (storage actually) and they get retained until the next backup even if you delete them from both the Palm and the PC.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The "Save backup copy on PC" feature works with the standard Palm Desktop conduit. It is not supported by most 3rd party conduits such as those which synchronize with Outlook. That said, there are now many Outlook conduits on the market and there may be one that supports the "backup/archive" feature. If this feature is important to you, you may want to check out the other Outlook conduits and choose the one that supports the features most important to you.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure if I understand Lee's problem, but FWIW, my 6 week old M105 came with Chapura's PocketMirror 2.n as its Hotsync Conduit, and I found that Chapura has already updated PocketMirror to V 3.0. The new Standard (free) version of PocketMirror has more flexibility in settings and appears to have backup capabilities; though I have not tested them, there are a bunch of backup folders now in my Outlook under the PocketMirror Note. Read about it <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chapura.com/html/products/pocketmirror/pocketmirrorfeatures.html>here</A>.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS