3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Corrputed DB help (Access 2003)

I have a serious problem with a db. DB is on a multi-user environment. The db became corrupted and during the compact and repair process something went wrong and it stopped the process. Now when you try to access to the db it gives you an error stating that "The Microsoft Jet engine database stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time." When you click on help it gives you an error 3197. I tried repair with JetComp 4.0 and I tried to import into a new db but it won't work. All users are out of the db at this time. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.. Thanks...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Corrputed DB help (Access 2003)

Sounds nasty. This is what I have done with something like this has happened (hopefully there is a recent backup so all is not lost)

You can try copying the corrupted DB to your local HD.
    From there you can try the new db / import the stuff from the corrupted DB. If this does start to work but then bombs on a item (table, form, query, report, macro), start the process again skipping what would have been the next item and continue importing the rest of the items. You may need to repeat depending on what it can recover. On the items you had to skip, hopefully you can import from a backup version.

or

Try with no DB's open, Tools - DB utilities - compact/repair where you select the file and compact/repair to a new file name.

So far in the past I have had only 1 DB that got so corrupted that it was only recoverable through a backup. I have had a few where I could get most of it back, but not all and a few where everything was recovered, but many records within a table were lost or recovered, but the recovered data was garbage.

Good luck!
    Stealing from one is call plagiarism, stealing from many is called research. ;-)~

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

gbanks

I have found this:

<div style="width: 100%; background-color: #FFFFFF;">Error Number 3197:
    Error message:
    <font color=red>The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time.</font color=red>

Cause/Problem:

This error typically occurs when a long value column (an OLE or MEMO data-type) has bad data stored in it. Long value columns are typically stored in a separate page from the page that the row is stored in. If a long value column is present in the table schema, the Jet database engine will attempt to read the long value page when reading the row of data. In order to read the long value page, there is a pointer in the row of data. This error is generated when the Jet database engine cannot properly read the long value page from the pointer present in the data row. When viewing a row that exhibits this behavior in Microsoft Access data-windows, the user will typically see the number sign (#) for the entire row. </div hiblock>

On the Microsoft site at Error 3197

I have checked other sites and the mention similar ideas...I hope this helps you.
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

One other thing you can try is to import data from the corrupt database into Excel, using Data | Import External Data | New Database Query...
    The Excel import routine uses ODBC, sometimes you can retrieve data this way that Access itself cannot get at any more. All forms etc. will be lost however, so I hope you can get those from a backup.