2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

list which can be added to (excel 2000)

I am wondering if anyone know if its possible to make a list box or combo box which hold a list of things but also if that thing is not in the list the user can simply type it in instead of editing the list attached to the list or combo box?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: list which can be added to (excel 2000)

Do you just want the user to be able to enter a value that is not in the list? That can be accomplished with Data | Validation, type List, by not displaying an error message. You can also use the combo box from the Control Toolbox and set its MatchRequired property to False (this is the default).
    Or do you want the value entered by the user to be added to the list? That would be much more complicated.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HI Hans,
    I have tried the combo box and list box approachesbut not an idea how to change thouse properties. I right clicked and looked at the properties but found none that you mentioned. but unfortunetly I wanted to know if its possible to add items to the list. If a user clicks a drop down menu and looks for the list item and sees its not there they can type there list item in and for the future they will now have it in there list.

I was thinking of adding a extra spreadsheet which would hold lists. each list in a column, named so a button could reference them.
    the buttons would be on the data entering sheet. everytime a user would like to fill in a blank cell. they click the corresponding button to that cell which would post that list for that button in column J. From this list the user would click the item they want and click the buttom agtain which would enter the choice and hide the list just brought up.
    This might be more work. I am working on something around these lines. Do you think its too much, is there a simplar approach like using hide-show columns?

thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can define dynamic ranges and use those as Input range for the combo boxes (you used combo boxes from the Forms toolbar, not from the Control Toolbox mentioned in my reply).
    The user won't be able to type a non-existing value in the combo box, but if a new item is added below the current input range on the Lists sheet, it will automatically be displayed in the combo box.
    See attached version.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, So to add the combo box I simple goto VEIW>Toolbars>Contol Tool Box?

then select the combo box and place it where needed.

When I right click on the box the properties you mentioned are not there.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

My latest reply was based on the workbook you attached, with combo boxes from the Forms toolbar, not from the Control Toolbox.

If you create a combo box from the Control Toolbar, you must first make sure that Design Mode is on (it's the first button in the Control Toolbox must be "down"). Then right-click the combo box, and select Properties from the popup menu.

Thanks

Does this example help?
    The item is added in the next cell and the combox listfillrange is updated when the combobox loses the focus.

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys. Steve Im not 100% sure how your example works.
    Arer combo boxs able to add items if they are not in the specified list to their list?
    Is there any know web sites that talk about the combo boxes properties and what they do?
    Thanks again

Thanks

The list is in cells A1:A4 (ListFIllRange)

If you select an item with the combobox it will add it to cell C1 (LinkedCell). This is the "typical behaviour" that is easy to emulate in various ways.

If you enter an item not in the combobox listfillrange, when the combobox loses the focus, (eg by selecting something else) the code will see it is not in the list and inform you that it is not in the list and ask if you want to add it. If no, the item still remains in C1 but is not added to the list.

If, you select "Yes" to add it to the list, the item will be added down 1 row from your current list and expand the listfillrange to include the new item.

Typically I just use the HELP. RIght -click on the object and select "properties". select the property in the window and press <F1>. It gives the syntax and an explanation and if you press "example" it displays some example code. But perhaps others will post some websites they have found helpful.

Steve