3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Password protect a layer? (2002)

I have a drawing of the floor plan with all Mainframe Equipment on Page 1. I would like to insert a Page 2 and add the locations off the Phones and Fax machines along with the phone number. Is it possible to make page 2 restricted so you would need a password or somthing to open it?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Password protect a layer? (2002)

Hi,
    I have not been able to find if a layer can be protected by a password, but for other protection methods see:
    Prevent changes to Visio drawings. Seems to have some useful tips!
    Regards,
    Rudi

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am not looking to protect what is in the drawing. On Page 1, I have a basic floor plan of our Computer Room. In the second layer or page 2 I wanted to add all the cables from the Mainframe to the Network servers, Firewalls, IP addresss along with the restricted Phone numbers. This layer/page, I wanted to keep hidden from everybody except Shift Supervisors or Dept. Managers.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The closest you can come to that is to have the protected shapes etc on a background page, and to protect the file specifying that background pages must be hidden. To do this follow these steps:
    To Protect a file:
    On the View menu, point to Windows, and then click Drawing Explorer.
    Right-click the name of the drawing that you want to protect, and then click Protect Document.
    Select the items that you want to protect.
    If you want certain people to be able to bypass the protection settings, type a password. The password is not visible after you close the dialog box, so make a note of it.

Other than this...I doubt it is possible to protect a layer. I have searched Visio XP and web-pages and come up with nothing about layer protection.

Cheers
    Regards,
    Rudi