New Lounger
    Thanks

exporting resource data (Project 2003)

Is there an eaisy way to export monthy resource data into excel? I like the monthly %s that are shown in the resource view, but cannot figure out how to export this. I seem to only be able to map out the total work.

Thanks
    Andy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: exporting resource data (Project 2003)

Andy,

Which resource view are you looking at, and what %. If this information is in a table the easiest way to get data from a table in Project to Excel is a copy and paste.

Carla

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Carla,

Thanks for the reply, I apologize that I wasn't very clear in my original post. End of day posts can be a bit fuzzy. :^)

Here's the deal:

In the resource usage view, I have it set up to view the a resources allocations % (by month), This is a handy graph that upper management would like to compare to submitted time sheets.

Is there a way that I can export this data into excel? Exporting to excel (as far as I know) only takes the data from the columns in the left side window, not the data from the right hand side, where I am seeing the % allocations.

As I mentioned, the goal is to be able to tally a resources % schedule to work

Lounger
    Thanks

Carla is right. I have exported several types of data from these screens in monthly format. The key is to copy the left side data and paste into Excel, then copy the right side data, making sure you line up your paste in Excel to maintain data integrity.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Guys,

I discovered by inserting the "assignment units" (something I've never used before) column into the view, and then exporting the table, I capture the total resource's allotment % for that task. However, I'm not sure what the big boss wants. I think if I add a start and end date columns, the excel guy could then play with who signed up for what, at what percentage of their time and compare it against the reported data in excel.

Yes, a pain in the neck, but I am sure there are many groups out there that have people trying to compare and resolve data captured in excel and measure it against Project data?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Andy,

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner, but I am on a project at work where my PC does not have Microsoft Project on it. I use copy and paste a lot and as Randy said you can copy and paste both views just make sure they are lined up. Another option that might be useful is to use the Analysis toolbar, go the Resource Usage View and click the Analyze Timephased data in Excel button. You answer a couple of wizard questions and it creates the Excel file, with the option to have a chart as well.

Hope this offers you a couple of options, there is just no predicting what upper management might request. There is so much data captured in Microsoft Project sometimes there are just way too many choices.

Carla