Star Lounger
    Thanks

Password Protection? (Outlook 98)

Is there any way to password-protect ONE FOLDER of e-mail messages in Outlook 98...?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Password Protection? (Outlook 98)

In native Outlook, not as far as I know, but you could create a separate PST which is password protected and keep only your confidential stuff in it. Also see if Slipstick has some viable aftermarket solutions.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

I don't think this can be done even in Outlook 2003...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

JOHN: Thanx for quick reply. I've e-mailed Slipstick to see if they have any solutions for my old version of Outlook. Appreciate the tip. Failing that, would you mind explaining how I would go about creating a separate password-protected PST for just my private stuff...? Thank you for your help!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by JohnBF on 25-Aug-05 08:34. Security issue once protected PST is opened.)</P>From the Outlook 98 application menu select Tools | Services | Add | Personal Folders | OK | in the 'Create/Open Personal Folders File' dialog navigate to the Folder location where you want the file to be stored and enter the file name you want | click Open, and in the 'Create MS Personal Folders' dialog select your encryption and password options, OK out. I think that's all it takes; post back if you need more help.

EDIT: in testing this, I found that once you have opened the password protected PST (via File | Open | PST ...) in an Outlook Session, if you close just that PST it can be re-opened in the same Outlook session without re-entering the password. I recommend that you do NOT check the "Keep this password in my password list" box when you create the PST, and that you close the password-protected PST, and then close Outlook, then restart Outlook, if you need to keep the protected PST out of sight when you are not at the PC, but leave Outlook open. (Hope this makes sense!)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

JOHN: This all makes sense; very clear. Thank you! Problem is that when I click on TOOLS on menu bar (hope that's what you meant), there is no SERVICES option...! Could that be because I'm running OL98 as "internet Mail Only"? Checked other drop-down menus, too, but no "Services."

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To create a .pst file in IMO mode, select File | New, then Personal Folders File (.pst). See OL98: Working with Personal Folders.It also shows how to set a password.

See To secure your Personal Folders file on how to set a password for an existing .pst file.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

HANS: Thank you very much for the research!! Looks like some interesting stuff. Not sure at this point if this material will do what I want, but will work with it and let you know. Thanks again!