4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Web/Word Discussions (2003)

Dear Loungers,

I am investigating the best way to review, distribute and collect comment on documents (usually word, but I will try to extend the principles). There are obviously a number of ways that have been around for a while but now there are several options. Does anyone know of a useful guide or discussion document with pros and cons of possible approaches. I have some views but these are from a pre-collaboration environment and early Word revision marking so are probably unfair.

many thanks.................. liz

Thanks

Re: Web/Word Discussions (2003)

I don't know of any such document. Your subject line implies that this is in a web-like setting, perhaps something like a Sharepoint Portal. If so, that's a very different set of tools and problems than the Exchange Server public folders environment or a document management system...

If several people are collaborating on a Word document, I find it convenient to shuttle the document around and have people put changes into it. I also sometimes write side memos or emails with more "structural" or "overall" comments that do not form simple insertions and deletions. Traditionally, it has been clunky to do this sort of thing in a web browser, but with the advent of more powerful "client-side" tools (even in non-ActiveX browsers), the web might become attractive again. Still, since I'm usually working on a Word document, it makes the most flexible container.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Web/Word Discussions (2003)

Thank you for the reply, the reason I headed it web discussions is that Word help suggests this can be done using a toolbar "web discussions" I don't have this but assumed some sort of collaboration s/w such as sharepoint might introduce this. Hence the question.

Anyone got any other ideas?