Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Change multiple shapes in an instant? (Visio 2002)

Hi,
    The Q arised from connector lines, but I assume if it can be done on that...it can be done on any shapes.

If I have multiple connector lines (default style) selected, and I want to change them to a 1-D Block Arrow connector from the stencil, is there a way to do that. At the moment I am changing them one at a time.

Hope the Q is clear?
    Tx
    Regards,
    Rudi

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Change multiple shapes in an instant? (Visio 2

Whilst you can use the Document Stencil and edit that master shape to do this for shapes, I don't see how this would work for connectors that have already been connected. I tried replacing the connector shape in the Document Stencil and it replaced all instances but didn't remember the connection points so I got a bunch of replaced shapes all with the same height and width as the shape it replaced but pointing in the same direction as the master shape.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew, thx for your reply. I need you to run me through the steps of what you did...I am still quite new with Visio. From what I understand:
    Say I have a basic flowchart consisting of some process boxes and some diamond and oval shapes connected with a simple 1-D line connector;
    1. I open the document stencil that shows all the shapes current to that used in the document.
    2. I delete the connector shape in the document stencil.
    3. I replace it with another connector shape.
    4. This replaces all instances of the connector in the flowchart.

IE...If I do the above steps for any shape...it replaces any shape of that type in the drawing???

If this does not work well with connectors, but does with other shapes...then you have "semi"-answered a big Q I had already!

So...
    Am I correct in my assumptions of your reply based on my listed steps above? (I cant test now as I have no Visio to try it on!!!)
    and
    In your opinion...Is there any other way to effectively convert multiple connectors to another type in one go. How about macros...do you know itf that could work?

Tx a stack!!!
    Regards,
    Rudi

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Rudi

Basically the answer is yes. Changing the shape in the document stencil will change that shape anywhere it is used in that file. The trick is finding out what the Document Stencil actually is - it is not one of the stencils you probably used to create the shapes. It is a hidden stencil that stores an occurence of each master shape used in a file.

I think this is different (slightly easier to find) in Visio 2002 so the initial step may be different for you. In Visio 2003 I would:
    1. Choose File > Shapes > Show Document Stencil
    2. Select the shape I wish to change and Right click it and choose Edit Master > Edit Master Shape - this opens a new maximised window with the shape sitting in it.
    3. You can edit the master shape's geometry here if you know what you are doing by choosing Window > Show ShapeSheet or alternatively you can restore the window and drag another shape into the window and delete the existing one.
    4. When finished, you close the Shape window and will be prompted to update all of its instances in the file (Answer Yes)

For your other question of can the shapes be replaced with macros - yes I'm sure it can. Unfortunately I don't use VBA in Visio much but I have had a play and I expect that the task you describe would not require much code. Examples I have seen do much trickier things than this task.

Depending on your task, another possible area to examine is playing with the styles in the document. The connectors would all share the same style by default so you could modify that style to globally change the appearance of the lines quickly.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanx a stack for that reply Andrew.
    Much appreciated!
    Regards,
    Rudi