Star Lounger
    Novi Sad, Serbia and Montenegro (Yugoslavia)
    Thanks

financial functions (2003)

who can send me examples of using financial functions and explanations of syntaxes?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: financial functions (2003)

Hi Slavin, welcome to the lounge!

You should be able to find lots of help if you Google for the necessary functions. Also, have you tried the search feature at the top of the screen on the web page. Search the Excel forum for the relavent functions you require. There should be some useful posts somewhere on the forum to browse through!

If you need any help though ... please be a little more specific, and we can see what we can do to provide you with answers.
    Cheers
    Regards,
    Rudi

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

The online help that is built into Excel contains a lot of information on fincancial functions, with an explanation of what the arguments mean, and examples of how to use them. If you ask for help about any financial function, for example PMT (payment), you can use See Also to get an overview of financial functions.

The screenshot below shows part of the help text for the PMT function.

There are many sites on the internet providing information about these functions, for example:

Financial Terminology
    Overview
    Financial Functions

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your answer. May you help me to find examples of using these functions: AMORDEGRC; MORLINC;CUMIPMT;CUMPRINC;DB;DDB;FV;IPMT;ISPMT;NPER ; NPV;PMT;PPMT;PV;SLN;SYD;VDB. I will,also, try to find explanations and examples, but help is always welcome. I hope that it won't be hard to find these things. Regards, Slaven

Thanks

In the help for each of the functions there is an example...

[Help - contents and index - Index(tab)
    Enter the name of the function
    Click the item in the list
    You will get help screen with the parameters and description. At the end is an example using it.]

Steve

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried to understand this from Help, but explanations and examples are not so clear. Because of this, I try to find another source of help. If you can help me, I will be glad to get your help. Slaven

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

We can help you with specific questions about using financial (and other) functions, but providing a complete tutorial is outside the scope of Woody's Lounge.

You'll find a tutorial on the standard financial functions in The PV, FV, PMT, PPMT, and IPMT functions.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Try MBA's Guide to Microsoft Excel 2000 : The Essential Excel Reference for Business Professionals. It explains the functions, but if I remember, it is more or less a rehash of Microsoft's help files, and it gives some sample workbooks. HTH --Sam
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello! I performed calculation with PMT function, and, as a result, I got negative value. Is it OK? Why is value negative? Slaven

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In all financial calculations, amounts you receive are positive, and amounts you pay are negative.

For example, if you take a loan of 1000 (dollars, euros, whatever), to be paid back in 10 years with an interest rate of 5%, the 1000 is received by you, so it counts as positive. The result of the formula =PMT(5%, 10, 1000) is -129.50, indicating that you will have to pay 129.50 per year (payment + interest)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

As Hans explained...amounts you owe will display as negative. If you want the negative value to display a positive, you can invert an argument value to be negative...which will change the function result to positive.
    EG: =PMT(10%, 60, -10000), or invert the entire function, = -PMT(10%, 60, 10000).
    Regards,
    Rudi