4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Locked cells in Excel (Excel 2002)

Hi there,

On one of my spreasheets I had a problem with locked cells. When changing the values on unprotected cells the changes were not made on the protected cells, on the Calcultaion tab (Tools -> Options -> Calculation) the Calculation was switched from Automatic to manual without me doing this. I managed to solve the problem (I switched back to automatic) but does anyone know how this happened.

Thanks Skender

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Locked cells in Excel (Excel 2002)

The calculation setting of Excel is determined by the first file you open (or, after closing all files, the next file you open). So if you loaded a workbook that has calc set to manual en than your "problem" workbook, calc will stay manual.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Thanks

Re: Locked cells in Excel (Excel 2002)

Here are a couple scenarios:
    1) Book A open
    Book B open
    While book B is active, the calculation mode is changed ( Tools- options -calculation(tab) - manual). This changes it for the session (and will be saved with the workbooks)

If Book A is saved and closed now, it will be saved with manual calculation since it was saved when XL was running in manual mode, even though you did not change the "option" when Book A was active.

2)Book B is saved with manual calc and it is open first. This sets the xl session to manual. Open Book A (saved with autocalc). The session is still "manual" since B was opened first. If Book A is saved when the session is "manual" the Book A will be saved with manual calcs.

Steve