3 Star Lounger
    Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Size of charts when linked to Word (2003)

Hi

I have financial data being held in an Excel spreadsheet and am creating charts that will be linked into a Word document.

Is there any way of determining and setting the actual size of the chart within Excel so that several of them on different pages can be made the same size. Trying to resize in Word isn't very satisfactory yet I want each chart to appear the same size there so that several charts all line up.

David

Thanks

Re: Size of charts when linked to Word (2003)

You can adjust the size of the chart object in excel by changing the bounds of the "rectangle". As far as I can tell the size transfer is "relative" from excel to Word: chart objects half as big as another in excel are half as big in word. Chart sheets are all the same size and have to be converted to a chart object (right click and use "location") to make "sizeable"

If you want particular sizes you can adjust them manually in excel or via code. You have the same options in word manually or via VB.

If you are looking for exact sizes in a WORD report, I would imagine setting the size is easier in word since you adjust them in inches (and that is where the "result" is). I can't see a need to adjust in excel to have a particular size for one report. If someone else was linking the same chart they might want it a different size or you may want to see more in excel than you do in word.

When I want all my charts the same size in word, I would just paste them all to one location, select them all, then set the size of all in one fell swoop. Then you can place them whereever you want.

You could also write code to just find all the charts in word and have the size changed to something. But that is a WORD question and I don't use word VBA, so I can not answer it.

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think it's preferable to make the charts the same size in Excel.
    If chart A is 1.5 times as large as chart B in Excel, it'll be 1.5 times as large after pasting into Word too. Of course, you can then make the sizes equal in Word, but since Word treats a chart as a single object, line sizes, font sizes etc. will change, with the result that the charts will have a different "look and feel".

Thanks

A good point.

Typically I link or import a chart sheet, rather than a sized object (I rarely use chart objects) so they all import as the same size. I then adjust the size of all those objects in Word to the size I need the chart, so I don't encounter the problem you mention.

There is a little trial-and-error to make sure the fonts in the excel chart the appropriate size for the desired word object

Steve

3 Star Lounger
    Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, but ...

how do you get the charts the same size in Excel? Is there somewhere where the size can be adjusted or do you do adjust in some other way? THis is the heart of my problem - I'm trying to size charts by sight in Excel but if the height/width aren't exactly the same the charts look wrong in Word.

David

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could create a macro to make all chart objects the same size.

This macro will make all chart objects on the active sheet the same size as the first one:

Sub EqualizeCharts1()
    Dim cht As ChartObject
    Dim i As Integer
    Set cht = ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1)
    For i = 2 To ActiveSheet.ChartObjects.Count
    With ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(i)
    .Chart.ChartArea.AutoScaleFont = False
    .Height = cht.Height
    .Width = cht.Width
    End With
    Next i
    End Sub

And this one will make all charts 2 inches high and 3 inches wide (you can change these values, of course):

Sub EqualizeCharts2()
    Dim cht As ChartObject
    For Each cht In ActiveSheet.ChartObjects
    cht.Chart.ChartArea.AutoScaleFont = False
    cht.Height = Application.InchesToPoints(2)
    cht.Width = Application.InchesToPoints(3)
    Next cht
    End Sub

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

A manual way to size charts (and other objects): if you hold down the left Alt key while moving or resizing a chart, it will snap to the cell edges.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi David,

Subject to differences in aspect ratio, another way of getting charts to be the same size in Word is to insert them into text boxes. That way, the pasted charts will only ever take up the space allowed by the text box.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]