Star Lounger
    Thanks

Font replacement (2003 Prof./SP1)

I keep running into this problem -- we have a style in our templates (our header) that is 10-point Arial with added attributes of italic & bold. Lately, Word has been substituting "Arial Bold" as the font name (appearing in the style description). When italicized, it slants way too much to the right and looks horrible. This doesn't happen to any other font. Is there any way I can stop it from happening to Arial?

Thanks

Re: Font replacement (2003 Prof./SP1)

> Lately, Word has been substituting "Arial Bold" as the font name (appearing in the style description).

Could someone have changed the style definition in the "master" template? If you change it back to Arial in the document, does it stick?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No one changed the style -- in this last case, the template resided on my own hard drive. Usually one of us creates a template and copies it out to the job directory where others can access it. My style had already gone bad when I put it out in our shared directory. We usually build job-specific templates off a few generic templates and the generics seem fine. It's an intermittent problem, and it seems to affect 2 of us (we have a 3rd person here who doesn't seem to have the problem). Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are all three users running the same versions of Windows and Office?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Nancy:
    Have you checked under Templates & Add-ins... whether another template is attached & if "Automatically upate document styles" is checked? It's also possible that the template is corrupt. Could you zip & attach it?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I apologize for not responding faster. For some reason, I'm not getting e-mail notification that anyone has replied to my query. I checked templates & add-ins -- the only one there is PDF Maker and automatically update isn't checked. All 3 of us have the same setup. I did eventually get my template straightened out & styles held. I'm attaching a document created from the template before I did that that I kept. The Header style shows Arial Bold as the font. Thanks for taking a look at it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Nancy:
    The header style was defined with Arial Bold. When I redefined the style to have Arial, bold, 10pt., it stuck, so I'm not sure what was happening on your machines. Under Tools/Options/Compatibility options/Font substitutions, Arial (default) was being substituted for Arial Bold.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

When I checked my options/compatibility for font substitution (can't believe I never noticed it was there) with this document active, the message was Missing document font: Arial Bold Substituted font: Default, then underneath was the sentence -- The default substitution for "Arial Bold" is "Arial Bold". I changed it to Arial and saved that document, reopened it and it seemed to hold. Style was originally created as Arial and something (??) made it change.

If we have another problem such as this, now I know where we can take care of it. Thanks for pointing that button out.