New Lounger
    Thanks

Jpg attachments arrive as text (Outlook XP)

Subject edited by HansV to aid in future searches.

I receive a lot of .jpg files through outlook, but recently they have been coming through at a very small size ( about 5k) and when opened consist of text and numbers - can anyone suggest whats wrong, or a fix - this is driving me mad!!

Thanks

Re: Jpg attachments arrive as text (Outlook XP)

Are these files coming from "real" senders? Just want to rule out any strange viral or spam attacks...

Mail travels through the internet as text, and your mail agent decodes it back into the headers, body, and attachments. Generally speaking, most filtering tools handle mail encoding properly, but occasionally something goes wrong. The path from your mail server to your inbox may pass through any or all of the following: antivirus scanner, antispam scanner, ad blocker (more applicable to images in the body of an HTML message than to attachments), privacy proxy (may rewrite links in the body to remove codes that seem to identify you), and firewall(s).

Can you think of any changes you might have made in your security/filtering software or its settings that might care about image files?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, thanks for your response. Yes, the mails are real. I'm using windows xp sp2, avg anti virus, microsoft antispyware and zonealarm as a firewall. I havent made any changes to the system (that I know of) and its been stable for about a year, until this started happening. Incidentally, I went to the web server which showed a message with an attachment (about 400k) and when I clicked on it to open, the size reduced to 5k and I got the previous "gobbledygook".

Thanks

Is the attachment opening in a logical application, such as an image editing application or Windows XP's previewer?

If you try to first save the attachment from the webmail interface to your hard drive, does that prevent the damage?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, its opening in windows picture and fax viewer, and I always save to my desktop first (that way my virus checker gets first bite at it!) I'm not being given the option to save the attachment - its almost as though the attachment is being stripped out