Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Yahoo! Music Unlimitied

Greetings to all!

I recently signed up for the Yahoo! Music Unlimitied music service. I'm TOTALLY amazed with this! The initial reason I signed up for it was to help find some music that I listened to as a teenager, but no longer had the casette tapes from years gone by.

Not only did I find most of this music, but I also discovered that nearly any music that I would ever want to listen to is quickly and readily accessible with a few simple keystrokes or mouse clicks.

On top of all that you can create custom playlists and share music with other subscribers. As you rate the music you like, the music engine is better able to predict similar types of music you may like.

The advantages are plentiful. You can log into ANY internet PC (as long as they have the Yahoo! Music Engine software installed) and access everything that you can from your home PC. The quality of the tracks is very high. I can't tell any difference between their streamed music and a CD (it must be 192 KBs or greater in quality). Additionally, you gain access to over a hundred ad-free radio stations.

The cost is US $60 per year ($5 per month). That's about the cost of 4 or 5 CDs per year! The only disadvantages are that you can only listen to the music while subscribing to the service. If you discontinue the service, any downloaded music (that's not separately purchased) will become unplayable due to the WMA Digital Rights Management. Also, the Yahoo! Music Engine software is resource-heavy and a little on the clunky side (it's still version 1.0). I believe they will continue to work on this over time, so this one should be resolved soon.

Has anyone else tried this or any other similar service (Napster, Rhapsody, etc)? The bottom line is that I'm VERY happy so far and fully expect that this will change the way I enjoy music!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Yahoo! Music Unlimitied

MarkJ,

>> Has anyone else tried this or any other similar service (Napster, Rhapsody, etc)? <<

I've been using MusicMatch Jukebox for a couple years and have been happy with it. It pre-dates the "rent your music" idea, so I buy outright any tracks I want. I also use eMusic, which has a little bit more offbeat selection than MMJB. I'm planning on putting a new audio system into the light pickup I bought a few weeks ago, and this may cause me to change my music "provider", as I want something I can use an MP3/WMA player or hard drive setup with. And I don't want to use an iPod, which would apparently force me into using iTunes.

Thanks

> And I don't want to use an iPod, which would apparently force me into using iTunes.

An iPod will happily play unprotected MP3s, but if you purchased or downloaded music in a protected WMA format, it might not play on the iPod. Same is true in the other direction, protected AAC tracks purchased from iTunes may not play on other players. I'm sure they will all get together and fix this at some point during the next decade...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

jscher2000,

>> An iPod will happily play unprotected MP3s, but if you purchased or downloaded music in a protected WMA format, it might not play on the iPod. <<

Exactly. At this point most of my MP3 collection is from ripping my CD's, but if I don't get acceptable results from ripping my LP's, I'd be looking at using MusicMatch Jukebox to download those albums, and they'd be protected WMA files.

>> I'm sure they will all get together and fix this at some point during the next decade... <<

Sure, but I'm in the market for new hardware right now [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]