Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lookup/Combo Box (Access 2003 sp1)

Should I use a lookup type field in the table, or is it better to just use a combobox in the form?

Jane

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Lookup/Combo Box (Access 2003 sp1)

I never use the lookup wizard. There actually is no lookup data type. If you use the lookup wizard you get a field with a data type determined by the choices you make with the wizard.
    The same result can be achieved by choosing the data type yourself, then clicking on the lookup tab of the field properties box and chosing a combo box there.

I think it is useful to set the field as a combo box in the table if you are going to include it in a number of forms, and always want it displayed as a combo box.

However, it is very common to hide a foreign key on a form by setting a column width to zero. I don't like doing that in tables however. Otherwise when you look at the data in the table, the real stored value is hidden, and it is easy to forget what is really there.
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Lookup/Combo Box (Access 2003 sp1)

John's response is excellent advice. In general users should not be working at the table level in Access - they should always be working with a form that displays the data and lets them manipulate it as needed. At the table level, lots of bad things can happen that are either difficult or impossible to recover from. With a form, the developer can control what can be done and how it is done.
    Wendell